Pork Belly

korbo, Jan 30, 10:20pm
have a lovely piece of pork belly.
How do you cook it, like a roast, or somehow different.
Do you serve it hot or cold.
thanks.

gerry64, Jan 30, 10:29pm
Hi korbo - I use the Annabelle Langbein recipe in milk - everybody loves it but you must make sure that you keep it from not drying out but not allow the milk to get on the crackling - I serve it with her pear and walnut salad very moorish

korbo, Jan 30, 10:41pm
thanks gerry, i did look up on the side thingee, and got very similar recipes. cant wait to try it. do you serve it hot or cold tho.
wish I could contact you.not sure how.will you be here in napier when you come over. will you be catching up with any from wrinklies!

timturtle, Jan 30, 10:52pm
I use Annabelle Langbein method, but don't use the milk or herbs. Replace with 1 cup of water and 1 tabspoon of white vinegar, and its to die for.

twindizzy, Jan 30, 11:10pm
Can't beat this, although I use stock in the roasting dish and rub underside of pork with either hoisin sauce or plum sauce.

http://cucinarebecca.blogspot.com/2006/05/slow-roasted-pork-belly.html

gerry64, Jan 30, 11:41pm
korbo- I have served it cold with the salad but have also served it warm with asian vegies
I have just started "chatting"to hifi on far away friends thread but that is only contact I still have with ex wrinklies

korbo, Jan 31, 3:00am
thanks valentino, i had already checked out that (your) recipe and will do it that way.hubby isnt too sure about it.reckons, just chuck it in the roast dish and he wants wait for it.*mashed spuds* with it.
will report back here later.

valentino, Jan 31, 3:09am
Mashed Spuds and Peas are great to go with the pork.

and tell your hubby to really savour that grilled skin part. Yep, sea salt Flakes and honey does go well in this, Oh ! - make sure the cuts goes right through the skin and the flakes are in the cuts after the honey has found it's way there also but kept together on the meat part.

Cheers

bounce16, Jan 31, 3:15am
+1 for the milk receipe - devine.Add some sage leaves under it.Whisk the milk after cooking for a sauce for the mashed spud

dezzie, Jan 31, 3:31am
The last one I did, I put thick slices of orange underneath to keep it off the bottom of the pan, then poured in apple cider until it reached the bottom of the fat on the meat, it was lovely.

gerry64, Jan 31, 3:38am
will give the apple cider a go next time dezzie - and I agree mashed spuds and peas will be lovely with it

korbo, Jan 31, 8:18am
wowee, what a dish.it was so yummy and there is enough left for tomorrow night.
I cut the skin, sprinkled oil and sea salt, cooked for 20min 240o, then added 2 cups of milk,(used a very small dish) and turned oven to 160. left it for 1.15mins. read valen who suggestedhoney, so spread some over the skin. it really was delicious.
The milk had gone all cheesey/stringly mixed with brown liquid, so i strained it and used it as gravy.it just topped it all off.
Really keen to do another one sometime. thanks for all the info.

gerry64, Jan 31, 9:40am
very moorish isnt it korbo