Tomatoes! . whats your best tomatoe recipe

tammiraven, Jan 29, 4:37am
and can I use it! .

fisher, Jan 29, 4:55am
hell no. this is the recipe section.lol:}

fisher, Jan 29, 4:56am
what sort of thing do you want to make !

male_timaru, Jan 29, 4:57am
Tomato goat's cheese and olive salad

makespacenow, Jan 29, 4:57am
Red or green!

tammiraven, Jan 29, 7:00am
red . I have a lot of tomatoes and need to do something with them

garrysfan, Jan 29, 7:03am
Chuck em whole in deep freeze in supermarket bags as they free flow then when you do spag bol chillie or the like in winter put em under hot water to get skins off and in the pot with the mince and onions.I also grate carrots and corgettes and freeze in big blobs and throw them in too it makes the mince go twice as far and kids will get heaps of veges.

fifie, Jan 29, 9:43am
Depends what you want, iv'e just spent 3 days drying tomatoes for winter, tomato relish, and roasted tomato sauce for pasta and spaghetti, bol next , tell us what you want to make.

elliehen, Jan 29, 10:57am
The best-ever and easiest tomato relish recipe and you'll be so pleased with yourself in the middle of winter.

Edited to add:I use un-iodised plain table salt and add extra chilis.

kiwitrish, Jan 29, 10:46pm
Was given a great tip for making sun dried tomatoes and it works perfectly.Lay tomatoes that have been sliced into about 3pieces each on a baking sheet and place on the parcel shelf in the back of the car.Leave in the sun all day.Perfect sun dried tomatoes.

elliehen, Jan 29, 10:57pm
Doing this might also help people understand why small children and dogs cannot be left shut in hot cars!

rainrain1, Jan 30, 2:36am
Try this.it's to die for :-)))

Tomato Jam A while back someone mentioned Tomato Jam recipe. Not sure if has been posted but here is one I make. Peter Gordons Tomato and Chilli Jam

. 500grm very ripe tomatoes (I use a couple of cheap tins); 4 red chillis (I use a tsp out of a jar!); 6cm piece ginger chopped (I use out of jar); 30mls asian fish sauce; 300grm demera sugar; 100mls red wine vinegar. Cook for about 40 mins or until thick and syrupy. Pour into sterilised warm jars. Makes about 4 jars. Nice on crackers with creamcheese or cheese. Enjoy

nettie14

rainrain1, Jan 30, 4:41am
I must add, I used fresh tomatoes etc, no tins no no no

threecheers, Jan 30, 7:28am
Tomato Vinaigrette
1 clove garlic1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup seeded tomato, in chunks1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil2 TLBS vinegar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Shake it all together.
This was originally from a barley salad recipe that used 2 cups cooked barley,a capsicum, a bunch of radishes, a small red onion, 1 cup celery, 1cup carrot, (or zucchini or fennel), all veggies to be diced. 1/4 c fresh coriander or parsley.
It's very yummy so I just use it on green salad.

male_timaru, Jan 31, 1:44am
I had a thought about this last night - for some weird reason lol

I would love to do a Stuffed Tomato with some mushrooms, red wine, almonds and berry fruit couli

uli, Jan 30, 1:18am
I have used this recipe before, however I used 200g of sugar rather than a kilogram.

http://www.allysongofton.co.nz/recipe/Mums-Tomato-Sauce/!r=2433

uli, Jan 30, 4:02am

uli, Jan 30, 4:04am
Re post #9 - why would you pour the tomato juice off! Lots of nutrients in there - how about simply reducing the pulp! Have you tried that!

holly-rocks, Jan 30, 4:08am
Maybe the liquid from the tomatoes, onions and salt would be too salty!

uli, Feb 4, 3:39am
bump for kirmag

helpless, Feb 4, 7:12am
Tomato Kasundi::

4 tbs peanut oil - or other vegetable oil (not olive)
2 tbs black mustard seed
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbs ground cumin
2 tsp chilli powder,,Use 1 as 2 may be a little hot for some.
1 tbs minced garlic (fresh)
2 tbs minced ginger (fresh)
6 fresh green chillies or 2 large reds chopped fine. seeds removed(optional)
2 kg ripe tomatoes,or 5 400gm cans of chopped/blended bits.
1 tbs salt, approx.
300 ml malt vinegar
250g brown sugar.

Heat oil in a heavy based pan and add mustard, turmeric, cumin and chilli powder.
Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn spices.
Add minced garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a further five minutes.
Add tomatoes, salt, vinegar and sugar, reduce heat to low and simmer for 60-90 minutes, stirring occasionally (more like often ) until sauce thickens and oil comes to the top. Keep an eye on it as it can burn fairly easily.
Remove from heat and store in sterilized jars. Makes about 4 large jars.

If you use the canned tomatoes drain about half the liquid from the cans,,doesn't take as long to reduce,,you can always add a bit if it seems to be drying out a bit quick,,Should end up the consistency of thickish relish.

guest, Apr 6, 7:05am
60tow6 udxutdsnhqfy