Pumpkin scones

kokopuff, Jan 29, 12:00am
Can any one give me a recipe for pumpkin scones please. Also in buttercup pumpkin ok to use for them.

elliehen, Jan 29, 12:06am
Not scones, but here's a good Pumpkin Bread.I do have a scone recipe which I'll look up in the books I mention below.

PUMPKIN BREAD
1&1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1&1/2 cups pumpkin, cooked, mashed & cooled
1 egg
grated rind & juice of 1 lemon

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and ginger. Beat oil and sugar together. Add pumpkin, egg and lemon rind & juice to the oil & sugar mixture and beat well. Stir in dry ingredients and mix well. Turn into greased loaf tin. Bake at 180*C for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted at centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Source:
'A Taste of Pumpkin' Delicious New Zealand Recipes, by Maureen Sherry, Random House 1995, ISBN 186941 245 1

Another super cookbook for the pumpkin harvest is 'The Great Australian Pumpkin Recipe Book' by Barbara Carr, Southern Holdings 2002, ISBN 094 9089 16 8

Both this, and the New Zealand one I mentioned above have a great selection of recipes for using pumpkin - soups, savouries, salads, bread, scones, cakes, desserts (even pumpkin ice-cream!).

kokopuff, Jan 29, 12:07am
Thanks elliehen

elliehen, Jan 29, 12:12am
PUMPKIN SCONES

50 gm butter
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup pumpkin. cooked, mashed and cooled
2 & 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
milk

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Gradually add egg, then stir in the pumpkin.Add the flour and cinnamon to mixture.If mixture is too dry, add a little milk to make a dough that is soft but firm enough to handle.Turn dough on to a lightly floured surface.Quickly and lightly, knead dough unitl smooth.Press out evenly to 2 cm thick.Using a sharp cutter, cut as many scones as possible from the dough.Place scones side by side in a lightly greased lamington pan.Lightly brush the tops with milk.Bake in a hot oven (200*C) for 15 mins or until scones sound hollow when tapped.

Makes about 15 and are particularly delicious when eaten straight from the oven.

Buttercup pumpkin will be perfect for both of these.

elliehen, Jan 29, 12:18am
PUMPKIN PAPRIKA SCONES

2 heaped cups self-raising flour
2 tspns sugar
1&1/2 tspns cayenne pepper
1/2 tspn paprika
1/2 tspn salt
250gm butter melted
1 cup pumpkin, cooked, mashed and cooled

Combine the flour, sugar, seasonings and salt and mix well.Rub in the butter until the mixture is like breadcrumbs.Add pumpkin and mix well.Add enough milk to form a dough. Turn on to floured surface and knead until smooth.Form scones by patting out the dough to 2 cm thick, then cutting into squares.Bake in hot oven (200*C) for 25 minutes.

Makes about 12

I haven't made these, and 1&1/2 tspns cayenne pepper sounds a lot to me.I use half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in ordinary cheese scones and that gives quite a 'bite'.