Stopping Cheese going mouldy ?

Page 1 / 2
pollypanner, Jan 26, 5:35am
I have tried leaving it in the packet, wrapping it in cling wrap, bought a cheece box, put it in wrapped, unwrapped, tried plastic bags, foil, but am sick of having to throw it away because it's gone mouldy, Any help!

brish, Jan 26, 5:37am
I wrap mine in a linen cloth and then put it in a plastic bag.Seems to work well.

wheelz, Jan 26, 5:37am
maybe buy smaller blocks! Ours is never around long enough to go mildly, and that is a kilo of it.

jills3, Jan 26, 5:38am
I put cheese in an airtight container in fridge,still in its packet and just cut as needed,never have mould problems.

lurtz, Jan 26, 5:47am
x1
I have a Tefal cheese preserver, and change the filter every few months, and all cheeses keep very well. However, my mother and aunts etc often wrapped cheese in a cloth which had been dipped in Apple Cider or white vinegar to prevent mould forming. Apparently it was a common practice, and it didn't alter the piquancy or taint the cheese in any way.

kerrylee1, Jan 26, 5:48am
x1
just wondering if its a certain brand, mine always last for ages. I brought a mild one for a change as it was on special at countdown, was going mouldy within a fortnight.just a thought.

pollypanner, Jan 26, 5:49am
I have tried the air tight container but no luck, i'll give the cloth ago and see how i fair. Thanks

datoofairy, Jan 26, 5:57am
Grate it and put it in a snaplock bag in the freezer. Cheese doesnt really freeze solid so you can just open the bag and take out what you need and put the rest back in the freezer.

kiwitel, Jan 26, 6:05am
I am the same as jills3- airtight container in the fridge. Keep the cheese in its wrapper- even if its not in the wrapper it never goes dry or mouldy. Try a different container maybe.

lythande1, Jan 26, 7:35am
Buy smaller cheeses.

four.mcs, Jan 26, 8:33pm
A tip I heard, is not to touch the cheese with your hands, always hold the packaging when grating or cutting, as it is the contact from your hands that starts the mould.

I tend to believe it, as I keep it in the packaging, but then again, we use a lot of cheese and it doesn't really have a chance to grow mould.

cookessentials, Jan 26, 8:35pm
I use a calico cheese bag.

datoofairy, Jan 26, 8:35pm
My brother is a cheese maker, he told me to never touch the cheese, even if I've just washed my hands.

prawn_whiskas, Jan 26, 8:50pm
Check your fridge is the correct temp (no the dial on the fridge is not correct - unless you have a digital fridge - you need a thermometer for this), it needs to be sub 4deg and most NZ fridges are well above this.Ideally 2-3deg is perfect.And don't store it in the thing on the door made to hold cheese as the door is usually 2 deg above the rest of the fridge.Most NZ fridges are sitting around 6-8d so if yours is like that then the door is anywhere from 8-10d perfect temp for growing mold.

Its all about humidity so it doesn't matter if you wrap it in plastic, in a container, in cloth, in wax paper etc if the humidity is incorrect you will grow mold.

j_quigley, Jan 26, 11:30pm
i agree with prawn_whiskas

dilligaf_dah, Jan 27, 12:30am
Lol Why throw the cheese away just cut the mould off. and grate it then and use for baking.if you dont like the thought of using it for sandwiches etc.

petee3, Jan 27, 2:40am
why don't you buy one of these, 442697922 , i have a similar bag and it works great, it will pay itself off after one block on non-moldy cheese

m41, Jan 27, 2:53am
a zip lock bag work for us tho you can also use a damp paper towel but ours never last long enough to go blue

sultana0, Jan 27, 5:21am
Eat it faster

kumerakid, Jan 27, 8:01am
don't touch the cheese with your hands/fingers that starts the mould, hold cheese with the plastic outer layer and cut or grate, to stop it going hard fold plastic outer over exposed cheese and glad wrap / sealing wrap tightly closed

kinna54, Jan 28, 3:48am
Def don't handle the cheese with hands. also try wrapping it in tin foil as opposed to plastic wrap, or as suggested the cloth method.

evorotorua, Jan 28, 4:14am
How long are you expecting it to last!

southerngurl, Jan 28, 7:57am
i would also say your fridge isn't cold enough.

we have about 6 blocks going in the fridge at once and let it do its thing till its crumbly and tasty.

rachy_21, Jan 28, 8:23am
I grate ours and put in snaplock bags and put in the freezer like Datoofairy does

soniaj, Jan 28, 8:46am
If only mine was around long enough to go mouldy, 1kg is gone in the weekend here.