How do keep a store-bought lettuce fresh? I take

elsielaurie1, Jan 22, 1:04am
mine out of the supermarket bag and place it in a metal bowl with a couple of inches of water in it and keep it in the fridge.but I'm never sure whether I should recut where it has been cut for harvesting or leave!

uli, Jan 22, 1:24am
If I have lettuce from my garden that is going to bolt I cut the whole head and wash it intact (swirl around in water) then let it drip dry and then put it in a large plastic bag and put it into the fridge. it will last about 10 days to 2 weeks depending on variety.

You can do the same with your supermarket lettuce, but remember that it is between 5 and 10 days old by the time you buy it. So it will keep not that long.

fifie, Jan 22, 1:24am
If its the iceberg kind for years iv'e always discarded outer leaves, pulled it apart cut the bottom off with a plastic knife ( always told a metal one makes it go brown quicker) wash it well put in salad spinner give it a few whizzes and into the veg bin in fridge, find this keeps it fine. For the leafy variety which we don't grow much just do the same.

retired, Jan 22, 1:31am
Years ago a piece of coal was used to keep lettuce fresh.Don't know if it worked or where you would get a piece of coal.

gilligee, Jan 22, 2:37am
Same here though I am rather fond of ice-cream containers as they stack so well.

twocorks, Jan 22, 3:40am
I dampen a few newspaper pages, tidy up lettice and wrap in the paper and place on shelf in fridge, keeps nice for days on end.

taurus2005, Jan 22, 4:30am
Airtight plastic bag, must have no air going in, keeps crunchy fresh for days.

lodgelocum, Jan 22, 4:52am
i wouldn't leave lettuce in water, it will go brown and rusty like, pat dry and keep in an airtight bag or container, should last for ages.

sarahb5, Jan 22, 5:44am
I have a Tupperware box that has vents in the end - I can keep a store bought lettuce fresh in that for up to 2 weeks

motorbo, Jan 22, 6:01am
wet a tea towel wring out excess, wrap around the lettuce then pop into plastic shopping bag and secure .rerinse and wring every 2-3 days

liamjosh, Jan 22, 8:08am
After rinsing put it in a clean teatowel and shake outside (big swinging motion forwards and backwards) to remove all water. Rinse teatowel and wring out and keep lettuce wrapped in this in fridge, or buy a salad spinner/storer. keeps the lettuce fresh for ages.Also, you can buy a special knife (really cheap) that stops lettuce from browning when you cut it.

juliewn, Jan 22, 8:13am
Hi Liam. my cousin was doing that one time. in a tea towel, outside, swinging it round and round in a circle, and around the corner walked a stranger.the man who became her husband.

very_hotpants, Jan 22, 10:04am
I leave it in the plastic bag from the vege shop and put it in the fridge I use most of it within a week and then i forget it for another week and tehn just chop the browny bits off and usually can get a few sandwiched andsalads out of it.

toadfish, Jan 22, 4:50pm
Just Curious.
Dimensions: 15.2cm long x 15.2cm wide x 8.7cm high
Thats quite small. do you use it for a bag of mesclun!or did you mean one like that only bigger.

survivorr, Jan 22, 6:44pm
And I heard a supermarket worker in the veggie department some time back telling a customer to put lettuce in a plastic bag, tie the top and poke three or four holes in the bag.He said it keeps it very fresh.So that's what I do and find it works a treat.

Virtually the opposite to what you've said, Taurus, you gotta larf!

sarahb5, Jan 22, 8:00pm
One like that only bigger.That was just the first fridgesmart box I found when I looked - mine is bigger than that (not sure on the exact dimensions - approximately 30cm long and about 10cm deep, about 15cm wide) but mine holds a whole bag of mesclun or a whole lettuce after washing and cutting up with my plastic lettuce knife

ibcreative, Jan 22, 8:03pm
I'm pretty sure your dimensions are incorrect. I have one of those & it's plenty big enough for a whole head of lettuce.

It's a round, high container so the measurements would not be by length & width.