Cream cheese frosting advice

catsmeat1, Apr 2, 7:16am
Can someone please post their recipie for cream cheese icing for carrot cakes. I think I'm doing something wrong, I use 125g cream cheese and a couple of tbsp of butter, beat together till creamy then add 1 cup of icing sugar and when I add the icing sugar it goes sloppy. Note I use a wooden spoon or whisk to beat as I live in a caravan and do not have an egg beater. Many thanks.

malcovy, Apr 2, 7:21am
Just add more icing sugar till it is consistency you like and it will be perfect.

catsmeat1, Apr 2, 7:26am
Aha, I wondered if that was my problem, I have seen recipies with two and a half cups of icing sugar, it takes just right to me with one cup. I think what I'll do is reduce the amount of cream cheese and butter. Cheers

margyr, Apr 2, 8:23pm
i never put butter, but i do put a little lemon juice or vanilla essence, and just add more icing sugar. or as you said less cream cheese if all you want to use is the 1 cup of icing sugar, i am hopeless really giving icing recipes as i dont measure anything, just chuck it in.

glendeb, Apr 2, 9:30pm
And make sure you aren't using the lite or spreadable cream cheese as they don't seem to work as well.

malcovy, Apr 2, 11:53pm
glendeb wrote:
And make sure you aren't using the lite or spreadable cream cheese as they don't seem to work as well.
Good point.

catsmeat1, Apr 3, 5:41am
Thanks all for the advice, I have been using 'normal' cream cheese but not Philly brand, might try that next time. Cheers

wheelmann, Dec 28, 5:09pm
Leave the butter out.
I find the taste of butter in things like icing, way to strong.