Where should you keep your eggs?

Page 1 / 2
us109, Jan 20, 12:43am
I’ve been told the fridge!

Then someone else to be in the cupboard!

So where are you suppose to keep eggs.

('o,')
<((>
_/ \_

pickles7, Jan 20, 1:03am
It comes down to personal preference.
I have never put eggs in the fridge. I keep then in a coolest place in my kitchen.I have never had any go bad. Eggs are always available, I rarely buy more than one weeks requirements in advance.
A few will say to keep them in the fridge.
Your choice.

lala2, Jan 20, 1:10am
I keep mine on the bench.

mwood, Jan 20, 1:22am
I keep both - the fridge ones are for poached or fried eggs as the white will stay firmer forming the classic moon shape.

jessie981, Jan 20, 1:24am
Fridge cos that's what it said on a carton

pericles, Jan 20, 1:25am
supermarkets don't have them in the fridge

daleaway, Jan 20, 1:43am
You get better results in meringues and pavlovasand sponges if they are at room temperature before beating (basically any recipe where you need air in the egg whites). They don't fluff up as much if they are refrigerated.

sarahb5, Jan 20, 1:50am
Ed Zachary - mine are in the pantry which is generally the coolest place in my kitchen.Only once had an egg go off and that was because someone messed up my rotation system

wackmac, Jan 20, 2:00am
Apparently if you turn them every now and then it does not matter (ie, flip them once a day.)What happens when they go off is the yolk touches the shell.

us109, Jan 20, 3:10am
Thanks everyone it looks like my eggs are going in the fridge pointy side down!

('o,')
<((>
_/ \_

makespacenow, Jan 20, 3:29am
In many countries it is against the law to sell eggs that are not refrigerated.they say especially in hot weather.salmonella etc.but then those are the countries that protect customers by having not just best before date but use by date.plus country of origin.

sarahb5, Jan 20, 4:38am
Can't really see why it's an issue even in hot countries - basic common sense would suggest that if, when you crack open the egg, it's off then don't use it .I always crack mine into a separate glass rather than direct into whatever I'm cooking anyway and even if you weren't shelling the egg before use (ie. boiled) then you'd know as soon as you did peel it that it was off just by the smell.

darlingmole, Jan 20, 4:50am
I have a ditty about eggs, not mine, belongs to *Fisher* and here it is!

If you're not sure you oughter
then place them in water.
If it lies on it's side
then it's fresh - eat with pride.
After 3 or 4 days
at an angle it lays,
but it still is a treat
so go on and eat.
10 days, stands on end
in your baking t'will blend.
'Cause it's definately edible
in your baking - incredible!
But if it floats to the surface
that egg serves no purposes
'cause afloaters a stinker
out back door best flinger!

Just love that (thanks for sharing that one ages ago Fisher)

sleyle, Jan 20, 4:56am
I watch a lot of Food TV and all the chefs say not to put eggs in the fridge - I still do though LOL

makespacenow, Jan 20, 5:13am
tv chefs get best of the best fresh daily from the market.eggs sold in the uk are often from china.now if you have own chickens and collect eggs daily then you are lucky!

mwood, Jan 20, 5:50am
yep I make my own luck :-)

korban, Jan 20, 6:04am
Found this on egg.co.nz website

Eggs should always be stored in the refrigerator. They lose their quality very quickly at room temperature. Eggs age more in one day at room temperature than in one week in the refrigerator.

atena, Jan 20, 6:07am
when you are going to cook the egg, the egg must be room temperature in order to get the full flavor into the food. So, no matter where you keep it, half an hour before using it you need to put in on the bench etc to have it room temperature. I personally don't put them in the fridge.

timturtle, Jan 20, 6:17am
I have Hens, and keep mine in the pantry, takes about 7 days before they can be hard boiled so that you can peel them. Mum always had Hens and she always stored hers on top of the fridge in a wooden bowl Lol.
I don't think there is a correct way to store them. Just buy as many as you will use in a reasonable period of time.

momma1, Jan 21, 2:23am
yeah we ahve hens too and have found older eggs are better for bouling baking and frying. when frying i've found the white runs everywhere if newly laid and i have mine in the fridge but remove morning of baking

lythande1, Jan 21, 3:07am
It's not preference. When eggs are really fresh, the air cell within them is very small. As the eggs age, moisture is lost and is replaced by air, which means that the eggs will become lighter and lighter in weight, as the air cell grows bigger and the egg becomes less fresh. This happens a lot faster at warmer temperatures.Make sure that the eggs are kept in the same position as when they were packaged, with the pointed end facing downwards, as this prevents any damage to the air cell.

lythande1, Jan 21, 3:08am
24 hours of storage in a cool room is the same as 4 - 5 days in a refrigerator.

To warm eggs up to room temperature for certain recipes,remove the eggs from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before needed.

yjeva, Jan 21, 3:11am
"Staggeringly, almost 11 billion eggs are consumed in the UK every year. Over 85 per cent of these are produced domestically"

yjeva, Jan 21, 3:11am
It doesn't seem like it -
"Staggeringly, almost 11 billion eggs are consumed in the UK every year. Over 85 per cent of these are produced domestically" "Imports from non-EU countries are currently less than 1%"

dalkemade, Jan 21, 3:48am
The fridge of course. Egg shells are porous.