Fish Head Soup

appollokid, Jan 19, 12:03am
Anyone have a recipe! They're snapper heads if it makes a difference. Haven't been able to find much online.

buzzy110, Jan 19, 12:32am
Basically you boil the fish heads in water, salt and onions and celery till they are cooked (about 15mins but you can cook for longer) to create a stock. Drain the liquid into a bowl using a sieve to strain. If you want you can wait for the heads to cool and take out all the edible meat.

Bury the scraps in your garden.

Make fish soup/chowder from the stock. Do you require a recipe! I'm not good with recipes for these sorts of foods but I can give a general overview of what you should be doing.

You can also use the stock as a base to make sauces for fish instead.

mss2006, Jan 19, 7:40am
Rick Stein’s 'Far Eastern Odyssey' series in Malaysia.

He makes a fish head soup in that episode with the help of a local.Great series, worth getting the dvds.

jag5, Jan 19, 9:15pm
mmmmm Mum used to make a brilliant fish soup.

As said make a stock as above.I know there was also heaps of parsly in the finished soup.it was still quite a clearish soup, not too thick.hmmmm got me thinking now.

appollokid, Jan 19, 9:17pm
Cool thanks for that, very helpful. I can figure it out from there, I was just wondering what the best way was to get rid of the scales, gills etc - so that makes perfect sense, cheers.