Keeping quality of cream

pickles7, Jan 17, 5:23am
15 days past the use by date, I was amazed it tasted so good.

I bought two bottles of cream on the 19th of December 2011. Use by 2nd Jan 2012, date on the bottle.
I just opened the last bottle today the 17th of January 2012.
It was in pretty good condition. It did have a very thick top, but once poured and using a knife I was able to get it all out into a bowl. I whipped it up to butter

lythande1, Jan 17, 5:30am
Freeze it.

edenrose, Jan 19, 10:30am
I use milk that is soured, also cream (which I would add milk too to thin) for making the most delicious, light pancakes and scones, so never through any out anymore. Don't always let people see what I'm using.
Waste not, want not!

pheebs1, Jan 19, 10:33am
wow really! you dont get sick!

kuaka, Jan 19, 10:38am
Which part of this thread are you surprised about!

pickles7, Jan 19, 8:00pm
Most home fridges run over, 4 deg C, What is yours running at.!

No, the cream was kept in a 2deg C. fridge, with not that much in it. It was not fit to eat as it was, it left a fatty film in my mouth. It tasted sweet, smelt sweet. The odd thing about the bottle of cream was, after all that time it had very little water in the bottom of the bottle. After whipping it into a solid mass there wasn't any butter milk.

pickles7, Jan 19, 8:30pm
You are right to use it in that way. I would have if I was needing to make scones etc.
I was really wanting to just test it out. If it was put on a cake as whipped cream, no one would eat the cake. Used and cooked in scones and they would be enjoyed.
I would not suggest everyone could use such old cream.
My saying is; if in doubt, Chuck it out.
I was never in doubt, I was expecting to throw that bottle out. Once opened, I knew it would be good for cooking with.

sarahb5, Jan 19, 9:03pm
Whenever we had sour milk at home mum used to make scones - delicious

bisloy, Jan 21, 7:56am
I agree with using it in cooking, fab in scones and anything that can use sour cream - great for potato bake too.