Want to make mince pie.

w-f-whitey, Jan 17, 3:32am
how do you make yours! cook mince beforehand! put pastry on the bottom! or just the top!

shopper78, Jan 17, 3:34am
Make a nice flour some mince up and have it all cooked, allow to cool. Pastry on top and bottom. You could add cheese on the top of the mince or on the top of the pastry.

w-f-whitey, Jan 17, 3:35am
so like a savoury mince type!

w-f-whitey, Jan 17, 3:35am
thanks by the way

ange164, Jan 17, 4:27am
If you have an edmonds cook book, a basic savory mince pie recipe can be found in there.It can be made as per the recipe in a 22cm pie dish to feed 6, or you can make individual ones if you have the pie tins for that. Just divide up the pastry and filling appropriately, and cook for less time.

bella95, Jan 17, 8:22am
Always made mine like that too. the other day I had one a friend had made; she'd super chilled the pastry and put hot filling in. Said the hot filling 'sealed' the pastry and stopped the pastry going soggy. Was really good too, nice crispy bottom!

tjman, Jan 17, 8:24am
Nothing like a good crispy bottom!

lindylambchops1, Jan 17, 8:47am
LOL I agree!

pheebs1, Jan 17, 9:48am
i cook my onions in a little oil till soft not browned
and then add mince cook it off add mushrooms grated courgettes if i have any grated carrot sometimes pumpkin maybe even the smallest bit of very thinly sliced cabbage cook it down
sprinkle over a little flour the add boiling water beef stock or gravy and sometimes a little marmite
salt and pepper
cook it till reduced and thick
i used to top and bottom the pastry but its tedious so after watching jamie oliver i plopp it all in my pie dish lay the pastry ontop and tuck it under and around the sides
score the top gently eggs wash the top bake at 180-200ish till golden
doesnt take long your really only cooking the pastry and reheating the filling
serve with whipped potatoes
yum!
the veges are cooked down so well the kids hardly notice them and it makes a little of the best mince go a really long way

lythande1, Jan 17, 6:01pm
LOL. Sealed. Try it and watch the result. You out hot wet stuff on top of pastry and the pastry immediately starts to go gooey. Sure, she could still cook it so that the bottom cooks properly later, but best to use cold filling, and don't leave it too long before cooking unless you are going to freeze it.

bella95, Jan 17, 8:42pm
That's what surprised me lythande. The pastry on the bottom was lovely - perfectly cooked. Crispier and 'drier' than I ever manage to get mine. She said it was because she'd started cooking them with hot filling instead of cold.

margyr, Jan 17, 9:18pm
the crispy bottom may have been down to the dish, I use a enamel one and bottom crispy regardless of filling being hot or cold, if I use pyrex one and put hot filling bottom always soggy.

bella95, Jan 17, 9:28pm
Good tip. Thanks. I usually use pyrex but have some old enamel ones. Will definitely try them next.

peterlap1, Jan 17, 9:32pm
My wife makes great pies, she says the secret to not having the bottom of the pie go soggy is that she always puts the filling (sweet or savoury) in cold and brushes the bottom layer with an egg wash.

sarahb5, Jan 17, 11:04pm
You could still use your Pyrex one but either line it with foil or put the pie dish on a baking try - the "metal" will transfer the heat better

smileeah, Jan 17, 11:49pm
Yesterday I made mince pies in muffin tins. Cut pastry sheet into quarters then gently ease into muffin tray. Sprinkle a little grated cheese into bottom (this supposedly helps the pastry crispen) then I added hot mince and more grated cheese to top. You can either fiddle around joining the top edges together or just sort of twist the edges and leave them as open pies. I cooked 210c fan bake for 20-25 mins and the bases were lovely and crunchy.
I basically use Edmonds pie recipe but add stuff like tomato paste, grated carrot/courgette, splosh of soy/worcester sauce until I like the taste of it.