Quarg/quark cheese

yellowgal, Jan 16, 7:50am
Hi - what is a good substitute for quarg cheese please! Ricotta!Sour cream!

shop-a-holic, Jan 16, 8:53am
Quark is german for fresh soft cheese made from cows milk; same as slipcote (Britain but sheeps milk). Fromage Frais is your closest bet; but you can get Quark on the cheese shelf of a good supermarket.

pom-pom, Jan 16, 9:03am
I have a German friend here who whisks 1 part cream cheese with 2-3 parts fromage frais (got to be a good quality thick one). Can't seem to get quark in Feilding or Palmy anywhere. She does a great baked potato recipe with an egg/quark (mad up as above) filling. Sounds weird but it's lovely!

davidt4, Jan 16, 9:58pm
Quark is quite easy to make.Let me know if you would like a recipe.

crystalmoon, Jan 16, 10:21pm
yes for recipe please davidt4

davidt4, Jan 16, 10:32pm
Quark

2 litres whole milk
100ml cultured buttermilk

Heat the milk to 72 degrees Celsius, cool down to 40 deg C in water bath.

Add buttermilk, stir well. Pour the mixture into a large porcelain/glass/stainless steel bowl, cover, and leave for 48 hours at room temperature (ideal is 18-20deg Celsius)

Place bowl in a water bath and heat gently until the whey separates from the curd - this takes about 15 minutes.( I put the bowl into a large preserving pan half filled with water)

Leave to cool down to room temperature for 30 minutes.

Ladle the mixture into a colander lined with a large muslin cloth.Gather the edges of the cloth together and tie with string, suspend over a large bowl (similar to hanging the pulp when you make fruit jellies).Leave to drain for about 5 hours at room temperature (3 - 12 hours is fine; the longer you leave it, the dryer the quark becomes).

When the quark has drained transfer into containers and keep refrigerated.It will keep about 10 days in the fridge, or can be frozen.

The whey from the quark production is considered nice to drink, or can be thrown over the garden as a fertiliser.You can also make ricotta from it but the yield is very small.

yellowgal, Jan 17, 7:33am
Thanks very much for replies, very helpful

crystalmoon, Jan 18, 3:19am
Thanks for the recipe davidt4,will give it ago soon,cheers :):)

ashanti, Jan 28, 10:16pm
Yes, quark is very easy to make, and you can frreze it too- thaat's my recipe davidt4 provided, and it's just about foolproof.