Elderberry Wine

babytears, Jan 16, 2:28am
Anybody made this! I've just recently made Elderflower champagne, but I'm aware that the Elderberry wine is quite different to make and a bitmore complicated!

Does anyone have hints and a recipe! The berries aren't too far away and would love to give it a go

kitkat66, Jan 16, 2:43am
Here's one I have made quite a few times.

2kg Elderberry
Juice 1 lemon
Pectolase
General yeast(or champagne yeast If you want sparkling )
Yeast nutrient.
I cup cold tea.

Place Berrys's in a clean bucket and crush. Top up with boiled water add pectolase and leave to steep overnight.

Drain juice into sterilised demijohn (1 gallon) jar.
Add yeast. lemon juice,tea,and nutrient.
Fit air lock, when bubbles stop in air lock, place demijohn
In cold place and leave to settle usually 2 weeks.
Syphon off from sediment and bottle for still wine.
Bottle and prime with suger for sparkling.

This makes a very dry wine that suits sparkling more.
For a fuller bodied wine add suger at the start and add a hand full of currents.

This was my Grandads recipe.

I also have a recipe for many others. I'm making turbo Apple cider at the moment.Good luck.

babytears, Jan 16, 2:56am
Wow. thank you!

I'll have to get my bit's n piece together. the demijohn, do I have to have one of these or am I able to use something else - I'm sucha novice!

lindylambchops1, Jan 16, 4:45am
Love the Elderberry Recipe thanks.What is turbo Apple Cider please!Sounds very interesting.

kitkat66, Jan 16, 6:33am
Turbo Apple cider.
4 packets Freshup Crisp apple concentrate from the Supermarket.
I packet E6 Champagne yeast.
Juice I lemon.

Put 3 pkts into demijohn with yeast and Lemon juice.
top up with water to halfway
2 days later add last Packet Apple concentrate and top up with water to the top.

Usuallly takes 10 days.When bubbles stop in air lock
Bottle as for beer prime with 1 teaspoon sugar per bottle.

Or If you really want a good commercial tasting cider.Try this.

Ferment right out then let sit to settle. Syphon off from sediment add 1 campden tablet.Leave for another week. Syphon again from sediment.You should be left with a clear bright brew.
I have a soda stream which I use to gas the cider. Then bottle.
You have a commercial tasting bubbly clean cider better than any you can buy. Reminds me of Magners in colour and Taste. I've made it this way for 10 years now lol.

Happy tasting.

lindylambchops1, Jan 16, 8:48am
Wow excellent kitkat thank you so much for posting am just copying & pasting.That sounds great, a must do!