<--- Lemons - the ones that make your mouth

calista, Jan 15, 8:58pm
I don't know much about the different varieties of lemons, but what I'm looking for are the sharper tasting ones.Somewhere in the depths of my bookcalse I have a recipe for crunchy lemon muffins which are coated with a lemon /sugar mix and they are much nicer when the sweet/sour contrast is greater.

Today the supermarket had NZ and Californian lemons and I wasn't sure what would be best.

Thanks for any help you can give.

elliehen, Jan 15, 9:07pm
I make those muffins (recipe from Alison Holst who said once it was her all-time favourite) and use the common Meyer lemons from my tree.I do use twice as much juice as the recipe calls for because I like the muffins to be extra sharp and tangy.

Alsion Holst recommends that instead of drizzling the mix over the tops, dip them into the juice/sugar mix in a bowl.

davidt4, Jan 15, 10:36pm
Look for the paler pointier NZ lemons, they are usually Yen Ben or Eureka and will be fine for your muffins.Meyers are a hybrid of lemon and orange, are dark yellow, less pointy and have a completely different flavour.

kaddiew, Jan 15, 10:44pm
Meyer lemons are all I ever use, and am perfectly happy with their lemony flavour in whatever I'm using them for.

nfh1, Jan 15, 11:07pm
Me too - I love them - my tree has lemons on it all year, it appears to thrive on neglect!

terachaos, Jan 16, 12:08am
What about the good ol' Lisbon lemon! Would love to have a tree but if they are frost tender, it would be a bad idea.

elliehen, Jan 16, 12:24am
Meyer is the common New Zealand variety because it is hardy up and down the country.until you get further south than Christchurch.

Nelson has a 'lemon drive' for Dunedinites every year, poor souls ;)

davidt4, Jan 16, 12:31am
Lisbon lemon trees are regarded as being reasonably cold tolerant, so give one a try.When I lived in Hamilton years ago we had a couple and they survived the nasty black frosts and fogs.I think the main reason that they are not more widely planted is that they are a very big tree and quite thorny.They certainly have the best flavour, and the flowers are exceptional fragrant.

terachaos, Jan 16, 12:50am
Are the trees slow to mature (Lisbon)! Have a Meyer and it's producing, but not in any number and the fruit is small. It is in a large pot but well looked after. Would like one that would be safe to plant, so maybe Lisbon is the way to go! Thanks for above.

davidt4, Jan 16, 1:41am
I don't think Lisbons are any slower than other proper lemons.My most recently planted one is in a huge pot and it fruited in its second year, although not very abundantly.

(edited to add) Here's a link to some technical data relating to lemons in Australia - there is a good section devoted to Lisbons

http://www.google.co.nz/url!sa=t&rct=j&q=lisbon%20lemons%20late%20fruiting%2F&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dpi.nsw.gov.au%2F__data%2Fassets%2Fpdf_file%2F0003%2F137712%2F4-lemon-varieties.pdf&ei=WIATT6K_LpGciAfBvtRD&usg=AFQjCNG2ZogWleGDDfCJQPUPF6i
8YvWIGQ&sig2=oA50HNM1wViN_U0fRR9VmQ&cad=rja

maandpa2b, Jan 16, 1:43am
IMO lemons seem to be getting watery and sweet.where/what are the thin skinned, sharp ones! TIA

elliehen, Jan 16, 1:47am

calista, Jan 16, 10:26am
Thanks David - I know Yen Ben are available in the local supermaket, I'll get them.

Thanks for al the help everyone - it was just that the last ones I bought were so bland that the muffins weren't as tasty as usual, despite dipping in the sugar/lemon mixture.

deviant7, Jan 16, 6:07pm
Ohh thinking this must be what my lemon tree is then. It grows lemons all year round and thrived in the snow we had