Can you freeze blocks of cheese?

dna187, Jan 15, 7:28am
Hi ladies, i was wondering ifyou can freeze cheese. We have a special
on blocks of cheese at the local supermarket really cheap, and i was wondering if you can freeze and whats it like when its thawed. I figure
you can as you can freeze pizza etc. Any thoughts. thanks

duckmoon, Jan 15, 7:35am
But also remember that it has a best before date of around 12 months.

otterhound, Jan 15, 7:45am
We were given 1680 kg! of export parmesan cheese (part of a cancelled order) and we froze heaps of it - everything we couldn't fit in the chiller.It's still in perfect condition once thawed.Was in 20 kg blocks.

darlingmole, Jan 15, 7:46am
yep, but I find it a bit crumbley when defrosted

datoofairy, Jan 15, 7:48am
You can freeze it, but tends to be crumbly when defrosted.If you have a kitchen whizz, grate it all and freeze it in snap lock bags. It never really freezes solid so you can just take out what you need.

lindylambchops1, Jan 15, 7:53am
Great tip!Thanks

pheebs1, Jan 15, 9:50am
yup grate then freeze

dna187, Jan 15, 6:33pm
oh ok, so grate it all first. Brillant. thankyou.

dalkemade, Jan 16, 8:19am
I freeze Edam cheese very successfully in small blocks, usually cut a 1kg block into 3 or 4 pieces.

onekiwigirl, Jan 16, 9:43pm
I have stopped freezing the cheese and just keep the extra blocks I buy when on special in another fridge and they keep for many months. Make sure that they are in the sealed vacuum packed packets and I have kept them for up to a year in the fridge with no derogation such as mold orchange in texture. I too had put in the freezer but I got sick of the crumbly texture after defrosting the cheese.Cheers

onekiwigirl, Jan 16, 9:46pm
This now means that I only buy cheese when on special because I have enough to keep me going over long periods when there is no real good special on cheese.Cheers

thq, Jan 21, 2:59am
i grate it and feeze it in bags and i always have grated cheese when i want it (my pet hate is grating)!