Ideas for Pot Luck Party

butterfly_belle, Jan 14, 7:08am
Hi, I am hosting a pot-luck dinner for 10, having never hosted one or even having been to one, I have no idea how to go about it.
Shall I simply let everyone bring what they like (true pot-luck) or should I specify entree/main/dessert or sweet/savoury!
Any suggestions welcome! oh and as the host do I just prepare a single dish also or do the nibbles . eek!!

rainrain1, Jan 14, 7:47am
Pot luck is usually let them bring what they like.some may ask what to bring, then you could specify.If It were my party and wanted nibbles, I would do them myself and also do a dinner dish

asue, Jan 14, 8:33am
I would have sum nibbles and do a good main dish just in case everyone brings salads or veg dish.You can indicate to people what to bring but that ruins the fun. (Also have had a bag of salad or rice on standby to reheat just in case the dishes look like not enough for everyone) Best about hosting at your place you get the leftovers for the next day!

nik12, Jan 14, 12:38pm
As a kid we used to go to heaps of pot lucks. and it always worked out fine :-)
Edit to say, we didn't have entree's though. was just main and dessert. usually most people bought a main.

wildebeest, Jan 14, 9:18pm
I went to a pot luck a wee while ago, which was hopeless. I was the only one who brought a main (homemade pizza)! One girl brought a bottle of wine, one a frozen sara lee cheesecake, one a box of crackers and the host made a salad from one bag of lettuce and dressing! Thank god I brought the pizza! If I were hosting I would make a main and a salad and maybe choc dipped strawbs just in case because there are lots of useless people out there!

margyr, Jan 15, 1:20am
I would be too nervous to just let it be a true pot luck, I would tell people either to bring a main or a dessert ie 5 bring a main and 5 bring a dessert, I would also say a small plate of nibbles, as the host I would be making something of each. Good luck they are alot of fun never had one here although people usually bring something, but those I have been to I have asked and been told by the host whether to bring a main or a dessert.

rainrain1, Jan 15, 4:57am
The difference between town and country maybe,a great pot luck party

next-to-normal, Jan 15, 5:44am
since its summer, how about seafood theme

butterfly_belle, Jan 15, 6:49am
Thank you all!
I think I will make and main and nibbles and just leave it to fate - could be entertaining to say the least.

socram, Jan 15, 8:19am
A lot depends on who you are inviting - and why!No rules.If it is your first, play to your rules and that means that you can specify who bringsa main or a dessert or a side dish, or, just ask them what they are bringing.

Generally our mob are all fantastic and several seem to bring a main AND a dessert.We as hosts, generally either do side dishes such as roast vegetables or even garlic mashed potatoes or roast potatoes or rice.If the invitees are a newer group, we also do a main a veg or salad and also have a dessert in reserve just in case.

No one leaves this house hungry and we usually end up with great left overs.

In summer, for a BBQ, I will generally provide and cook all the meat/fish etc but that can be a bit expensive and isn't for everyone, but it does mean that you are not trying to cook 20 different cuts of meat, thicknesses of sausageetc., so the food is generally all cooked properly and there is none of that petty squabbling over whose bit of steak it is.

Leaving it to fate is just as good and can be a lot of fun.Just enjoy it.