Alternatives to sugar

glynsmum, Jan 12, 8:50pm
I have tried Equal and Stevia but have this awful aftertaste or not even after but whilst drinking I hope I'll give up sugar alltogether but till then.Anyone know of something please!

cgvl, Jan 12, 9:02pm
I don't use either, very occasionally I'll use splenda. I cut added sugar out of most of my food slowly. If you like the sweet taste of your drinks then slowly remove the amount of sugar over several weeks eg 2tsp normally down to 1 & 3/4, then 1½ etc until down to about a ¼ then none.
I drink fizzed water/soda water, It takes a couple of mouthfuls to get over then initial taste but then its fine.
I can't stand the diet drinks or diet foods with artificial sweeteners because of the after taste. So from time to time when I know a food needs some form of sweetener I will add a very small amount of sugar and only have a small serving.

cookessentials, Jan 12, 9:05pm
Is this just in coffee and tea or suchlike! I just stopped using it and now cant stand sugar in either coffee or tea. You could sweeten with a little honey perhaps!

glynsmum, Jan 13, 4:56am
Thanks I think I'll just have to wean myself off

buzzy110, Jan 13, 5:20am
This is the only viable solution imo and I'm pleased you have come to that decision by yourself. If you are still able to have sugar (i.e. just not eating it for diet and overall health) then save sugar for very special occasions as all alternatives either leave a nasty taste, are bad for your liver (fructose especially) or are probably carcinogenic. Alternatives such as honey, maple, agave, high fructose corn and date syrups, etc, are still on a par with sugar when it comes to how it affects your body.