Nectarine jam,

edenrose, Jan 11, 11:11am
I made some today, it wouldn't set.Had to rush out and buy
Jam Setting Mix.Taste was overpowered by too much sugar, ended up adding some blackberries to dilute the sugar.Is there anything special to do to succeed with making nectarine jam(fruit was a little soft, seconds purchased, well trimmed though).Thanks.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 5:32pm
Always better to go for ripe, firm and unblemished fruit if you can. lemon juice is always a good setting agent.

katalin2, Jan 11, 5:43pm
Edenrose, like you I use seconds in fruit for jam- usually from our garden. I have made nectarine jam from our windfalls- you need to add citric acid or tartaric acid ( from supermarket- by the spices) to get a good set and lemon juice if you have access to lemons. I find I get a much firmer set using either citric acid or tartaric acid then when I just use lemon juice on its own.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 5:52pm
Mmm,thats interesting Katalin2, the apricot jam I do is just apricots, sugar, sliced lemons and apricot kernels.sets really well. Perhaps nectarines need that "bit extra"

dbab, Jan 11, 9:21pm
Nectarine jam is sooo good. My grandkids couldn't get enough of it last year.Must put that on my to do list.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 9:23pm
yep, me too. I have another batch of apricot to do and we have a greengage plum tree as well as another ne that has tiny plums with a yellow flesh but they are tasteless, so thought I might experiment and make something with those as well.

cgvl, Jan 11, 9:25pm
yellow plum and pineapple jam. Just add a tin of crushed pineapple to the plums when you add the sugar. Its devine, used to have it as the only plum jam when I was young

edenrose, Jan 12, 7:41am
Boiled it for ages, it eventually set, thanks to the Jam Setting Mix.I will remember about lemons, I never knew that.Tastes quite good with the blackberries in.Haven't made jam for years as fruit too dear, doesn't seem worth the expense involved.
Thanks all.