Help,my lasagne sauce------

solid_citizen, Jan 10, 3:28am
never tastes like it should-------i have tomatoes tin, garlic,onion,bay leaf salt pepper,sugar, tomato paste,oregano,basil,mince red wine------what can i do now! not into chilly

tjman, Jan 10, 3:30am
Pur it over some chicken breasts and prinkle over cheese and bake

solid_citizen, Jan 10, 3:34am
Ta but, want it to be lasagne and by all accounts it should blol

tjman, Jan 10, 3:35am
OhI thought you wanted to use it differently.So what bit doesn't turn out right.The above sause sounds yummy.You just have to add bechemel sauce to the layers

shop-a-holic, Jan 10, 3:36am
Swap Out:
Mince for Pork Mince. It is lighter, less depth of flavour than beef, and will enhance the other ingredients.
Red Wine for splash of red wine vinegar. You need acid to compliment sweetness.
White Sugar for Brown Sugar - brings out a richness for tomatoes.
Delete Bay Leaf; add small handfull of dried olives and finely chopped sundried tomatoes.
I add fresh herbs at the end, so that they stay green. Thyme and Basil.

ant_sonja, Jan 10, 3:39am
Your sauce sounds yum, what do you think is lacking! Sometimes celery salt can be nice and bring out a bit more flavor.

solid_citizen, Jan 10, 3:42am
Thanks tjman,it just hasnt got enough flavour---ta shop-a holic next time aye
got a fussy man doesnt like olives could sneak in the sun dried tomatoes but

eyesonly01, Jan 10, 4:36am
Brown sugar/ Honey :)

ruby19, Jan 10, 4:41am
I add a little cinnamon to tom sauces. Also when making the meat sauce for lasagne i fry off a little bacon with the onions.

smileeah, Jan 10, 4:44am
I think the secret is in a long cooking time. If you begin with extra water and simmer for a couple of hours until it is reduced to the right consistency the flavours will become more intense.

charlieb2, Jan 10, 4:45am
Yep. simmering for a LONG time should enhance the flavour.

davidt4, Jan 10, 4:51am
Three suggestions:

1.First of all cook the onions and garlic in olive oil slowly until well softened and pale gold.About 15 - 20 minutes on moderate heat.This gives depth of flavour and sweetness.

2.Reduce the sauce by long simmering - at least 90 minutes over low heat.

3.Check that you have added enough salt.

solid_citizen, Jan 10, 5:05am
Thax guys,did all that maybe salt in question.

solid_citizen, Jan 10, 5:06am
will try cin and bacon thanks heaps

gardie, Jan 10, 5:37am
I also think that sometimes you need to put in more salt than you initially think - especially once you've put in sugar.Can't do without either though! Enjoy your dinner.

solid_citizen, Jan 10, 6:15am
thanks again everyone, the sun dried toms did wonders,

nauru, Jan 11, 7:50am
I usually cook up finely chopped carrot and celery with the onion and garlic before adding the tomatoes and other ingredients that you have listed,

parsondian, Jan 11, 7:52am
I'd just add some sweet smoked paprika powder to that.

nik12, Jan 11, 9:51am
I was also wondering about salt. I find mince dishes often need more than you 'really' want to put in. I often add a fair shaking of black pepper as well.

sarahb5, Jan 11, 10:00am
If all else fails try the Maggi mix .I cook my meat sauce for lasagne for quite a long time and it is thick and rich.I include a beef Oxo cube and a dash of worcestershire sauce too.I use 2 tins of chopped tomatoes - one with Italian seasoning, one with basil and garlic.I don't add sugar because I don't think with tinned tomatoes you need to - I would if I was using fresh tomatoes though as they are more acidic but tinned they usually use plum tomatoes so are less acidic anyway.

fisher, Jan 11, 10:29am
I like to use my smallest cherry tomatoes full of zingy flavour. with lots of basil.then sage with pork mince and thyme with beef mince.

nzl99, Jan 11, 12:13pm
Always with the salt! hahaha I LOVE salt.Maybe brown your meat off first. then simmer your sauce for a few hours.

lythande1, Jan 11, 5:24pm
Skip the sugar. Add a bit of stock rather than the wine.