What is a runny egg, and how is it different to

Page 1 / 2
duckmoon, Jan 8, 4:12am
What is a runny egg, and how is it different to a soft hooked egg.!

sarahb5, Jan 8, 4:14am
It isn't is it!Although I always tend to think soft cooked (or hooked!) refers to soft boiled so you can dip your soldiers and runny refers to a fried egg - not sure why though

cookessentials, Jan 8, 4:20am
A runny egg is the full yolk liquid,whereas a soft boiled is usually the outer of the yolk and underneath firmish,with still softer, or slightly thicker yolk, not quite so soft.

uli, Jan 8, 4:46am
A runny egg will have the yolk running out when you cut it.
A soft boiled egg will have a soft very yellow/orange yolk, but it is not running out.
A hard boiled egg will have a very dry very light yellow yolk (often with a green/blue ring around the yolk where it meets the white).

cookessentials, Jan 8, 4:51am
no, I dont think thats quite the answer the OP was after.

saffa2, Jan 8, 4:53am
My boiled eggs have dark yellow yolks, is something wrong with them!.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 4:55am
Are you just "yolking" about! 'Hooked' eggs are very rare and eggs are always soft when just laid, but harden up. (just yolking)

uli, Jan 8, 4:55am
Yep - you have not boiled them for 15 or 20 minutes to make sure they have "no soft white sheens" showing LOL :) Then they will certainly look like I described.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 4:56am
Nah. Yellow is way better than green anytime.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 5:04am
No, all depends on the chookies and what they eat. Our free range girls yolks are lovely rich and orange yellow.

bill241, Jan 8, 5:07am
The blue/green ring means it has been overcooked, it is iron reacting with sulphur.

uli, Jan 8, 5:08am
Yep - I know that . but obviously other posters above dont' .they think if they feed their chooks "free range" goodies they will not get that sulphur reaction LOL :)

bill241, Jan 8, 5:10am
I can't abide that gross green stuff appearing in eggs, bleurk.

pickles7, Jan 8, 5:23am
green eggs, that is usually the case just before they go bang

duckmoon, Jan 8, 5:35am
thought a green blue ring meant a stale egg.!

cookessentials, Jan 8, 5:36am
a dark yellow or orange yolk and being fed free range "goodies" has nothing to do with green eggs.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 5:36am
Neither can I. They stick in your throat and make it difficult to breathe. They usually serve green eggs on airplanes. It is a wonder that they don't have more cases of near death caused by high altitute and breath stopping green eggs.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 5:39am
I've been wondering where people buy green eggs from.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 5:39am
uli wrote:

A hard boiled egg will have a very dry very light yellow yolk (often with a green/blue ring around the yolk where it meets the white).

Then you said this

The blue/green ring means it has been overcooked, it is iron reacting with sulphur.

bill241 (169 )6:07 pm, Sun 8 Jan #12

Yep - I know that . but obviously other posters above dont' .they think if they feed their chooks "free range" goodies they will not get that sulphur reaction LOL :)

Obviously you didnt know that otherwise you would not have made the first comment.

pickles7, Jan 8, 5:42am
more spliff!

cookessentials, Jan 8, 5:44am
yep, nothing like trying to cover up ones mistakes eh!

buzzy110, Jan 8, 5:47am
Seriously now. A hard boiled egg that has not been overcooked but not cooled down immediately in cold water WILL get a nice green hue around the outside of the yolk and a pleasing black tinge to the white where it touches the yolk. No amount of 'good feed' or free range living on the part of any chook will prevent this effect if people continue to treat eggs with complete disdain and, using any method they can, overcook them.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 5:49am
You need to make that spliff stuff much stronger pickles. It isn't working. I, on the other hand, am positively legless, and I've barely breathed in the second hand fumes.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 5:54am
Best give that news to uli then.

gabbysnana, Jan 8, 5:55am
Any of the asian fruit shops or supermarkets.