Brown Onion Soup - nice recipe for a rainy day

craig04, Jan 8, 2:31am
Thought I'd share this recipe for a brown onion soup, which I got from my Mum and made for lunch today served with grilled cheese/bread. It was delish - enjoy!

6 med onions
100g butter
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup plain flour
6 cups beef stock
Worchestershire sauce to taste - I used a couple of tsp
Ground black pepper

Apply swimming goggles and hold breath (just kidding) and then cut onions into 5mm slices. Heat butter and large saucepan, add the onions and cook over a moderate heat, stirring regularly, until they go soft and browned (Takes about 20mins - this time is important to develop the flavour). Stir in the sugar and cook for 5mins to further darken the mixture, then stir in the flour. Add the stock and bring back to a boil. Then simmer for 30mins over a very low heat before adding the worchestershire sauce and pepper to taste. Add salt if neccessary (if you use powdered stock - you won't need to add much if any salt). Stand for 5mins and serve with grilled cheese/bread.

clair4, Jan 8, 3:07am
Sounds yummy.I have copied the recipe and maybe will make it tomorrow.I think I will have the recipe as there are only 2 of of us.
Thank you.

fifie, Jan 8, 4:21am
Yum, that sounds lovely will copy it and be making it when the weather cools down, so warm and dry in the deep south for weeks now Great ! Only 2 of us as well, could i freeze it okay as we like our soup lol. Thanks for sharing.