Roasting pork

tarshlove, Apr 1, 3:32am
Hey guys, just wondering who's in the know of the best way to cook a roast pork. i know that i have to cut the roast then oil and salt it rubbing it in well. Best cooked on a rack from what I've read so it's not sitting in the juices. However do you cook in the roasting dish with lid on of off and whats the trick to getting the crackle well crackled. Thanks in advance luvies

harrislucinda, Apr 1, 4:02am
neverheardof oilingandsaltingaroast. butiaddoilin the roastingpanandcoverwith the lidortinfoil. take coveringoffabout1hrthathelpscrackle toform

kirinesha, Apr 1, 5:55am
Tarshlove - go have a look at Delia Smith's website - we use her reipce and NEVER oil the surface and ALWAYS get amazing crackling.

Or see this link from the BBC to her recipe:

http://www.bbc.co. uk/food/recipes/database/roastporkwithcrac
kli_67344. shtml

maandpa2b, Apr 1, 6:41am
I cook mine on a wire rack in my roasting pan. I take all the fat/skin off and score and salt it to make crackling (just lie it ontop of the wire too - check it as it will cook faster).

veejay13, Apr 1, 8:00am
Similar method to mine in a way - if the crackling hasn't crackled by the time the meat is cooked, I lift it off and put it under the grill while the meat is resting. That really crackles it, but keep a close eye on it as it burns easily. Ya just can't beat a bit of crackling, can ya!

goldgurl, Dec 23, 5:41pm
We just had roast pork for diner... perfect everytime! !

This one I had tonight was just over 4kgs. I rince it quickly, dry it and sprinkle generous amount of salt on the skin which I have scored into thin strips, I add about 2cups of water (now fat or oil) I cooked it uncovered for about 4 hours at 160 degC. Baste it about 2 times during that 4 hours... and it came out so MOIST! ! Took it out of the dish once it was cooked, made a gorgeous gravy with the juices... apple sauce, kumara and potatoes... everyone's happy :)