Pumpkin Soup

urasxcqt, Jan 6, 5:31pm
I am living in London, and in the three years I have been here I have never seen pumpkins, only at Halloween but they aren't pumpkins you can eat, so my question is does Butternut taste the same as pumpkin and does it make a nice Pumpkin Soup errr in this case Butternut soup.

TIA

summah63, Jan 6, 5:58pm
I wouldn't use as they're not fleshy enough & soup would be pale. You could try & add garlic, chicken stock, potato etc to give it flavour.

urasxcqt, Jan 6, 7:43pm
hmmm thanks, maybe I will just leave it sounds like I would be disappointed with the end result, wish my Mum could send a good ole crown pumpkin over

carriebradshaw, Jan 6, 9:02pm
I have used butternut pumpkin to make pumpkin soup loads of times and it's always turned out lovely.

socram, Jan 6, 9:13pm
Add carrots for colour (and taste).At least UK carrots are 100% better than kiwi carrots, so that will address the shortcomings of the butternut squash.

ellie04, Jan 6, 9:18pm
If you can get this in the supermarket - orange sweet potato (kumara) you could add this for colour and also taste.

cgvl, Jan 6, 9:37pm
butternut is fine for soup. Do they have a buttercup pumpkin or squash it's the dark green skinned one sometimes has stripes. Also check for supermarket squash which is a pumpkin too but make sure you just buy a piece as it needs to be a dark/bright orange colour not pale (pale = unripe = yucky soup).

fifie, Jan 6, 9:41pm
I'd make it the same as this using butternut, instead of pumpkin, its the roasting that gives it the flavour.
roast butternut chunks with a fewgarlic pieces peeled, onion cut into 1/4's drizzled with olive oil.When cooked and cool(remove skin) addsome chicken stock, salt & pepper, good dash of curry powder and about 3-4rashers of prefried bacon pieces, then put whole lot into food processer and blend until smooth, do in batches for large lots, using the chicken stock to make as thick or thin as you like. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top, and hot crusty bread, or you can put in containers and freeze.

iriegirl, Jan 7, 12:43am
Have you got a west Indian shop anywhere near you! This is where I found pumpkins whilst living there.

kcng, Jan 7, 3:03am
I only use butternut - its lovely with orange kumara, garlic, chicken stock, onion and bacon!

summah63, Jan 7, 7:07am
Been watching Come Dine With Me Omnibus & one host used Butternut for soup.