Seeking a hot chicken curry recipe

junkyardtattoo, Jan 5, 2:01pm
A few years back there was a fantastic takeaway curry shop in Tawa, Wellington that made a chilli chicken spinach curry to die for,sadly they shut down and took their recipe with them, does anyone know a good authentic chicken curry recipe they would like to share that i could try and cook!
Any help appreciated thanks

suzanna, Jan 5, 3:16pm
Here's a link for you: http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-and-spinach-curry-210350
If you google 'chilli chicken spinach curry' there are many recipes. Let's know which one you use and how it turned out. Cheers.

pickles7, Jan 5, 9:39pm
Curry paste from an Asian Spice shop, may be what you require.

davidt4, Jan 5, 10:08pm
I have no idea if this resembles your takeaway curry, but it is delicious and not difficult to make.

Chicken & Spinach Curry

2 tsp coriander seeds
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 tab oil
1 kg boneless chicken thighs in large chunks
4 onions finely chopped
6 cloves
6 green cardamom pods
1 black cardamom pod
10cm piece cinnamon or cassia stick
10 black peppercorns
4 cassia leaves  (or bay leaves if absolutely necessary)
3 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp paprika
8cm fresh ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp salt
1 c thick yoghurt
1 large bunch of spinach

Toast coriander & cumin in small pan, grind. (Or use ground spices).

Heat oil in large pan and fry chicken over high heat until mildly browned.  Remove from pan.   Add more oil if necessary and fry onions, cloves, cardamoms, peppercorns and leaves, fry gently for about 20 min until starting to brown.  Stir often.

Add cumin, coriander, garam masala, tumeric & paprika and stir 1 min.  Add meat, ginger, garlic, salt & yoghurt, 250 ml water.   Cover and simmer until chicken is tender - about 45 min.   Uncover and cook until moisture evaporated.

Meanwhile clean spinach, blanch or steam until just softened.   Drain very thoroughly between two chopping boards and chop finely.   Add to chicken and cook 3 - 5 min until hot and well mixed.

junkyardtattoo, Jan 6, 1:28am
Thank you all for your help, i will try out both recipes this weekend