Wedding Pot Luck Dinner Ideas Please

Page 1 / 2
deejayrobbied, Jan 5, 6:41am
We have a wedding to go to this weekend and instead of presents the wedding party have requested food for a pot luck dinner.I have no idea what to take.Can I please have so ideas.Thanks

phoenix10111, Jan 5, 6:47am
I'd take something for after dinner, like home made truffles. Have they given any indication whether they want main, salads, desserts etc!

deejayrobbied, Jan 5, 6:52am
No we got a little card with the invitation that read: Ourwishing well
Unsure in our minds, of what we may need
Not wanting to offend, or show any greed
We have the essentials to be living afar
A kettle, a toaster, and even a car
So, a pot luck meal is requested instead
With BYO celebrations to go ahead.

huggy5, Jan 5, 7:24am
I'd ask them, I would presume when you RSVP they would tell you what to bring, but just in case!

phoenix10111, Jan 5, 7:27am
Definitely ask - I'm sure other people will do as well. If everyone one (or every couple) take a main, there will be 2 - 3 times as much food as needed.

cookessentials, Jan 5, 7:29am
I guess the difficult thing is that everyone may bring similar things. Had some been told to do mains, some starters and some desserts, it would have made it easier.

pickles7, Jan 5, 7:45am
Here is a recipe suitable for both,Main mealorDessert.

Banana salad

Main meal
Slice very ripe bananas, toss in a little lemon juice. throw in a handful or two coconut ribbons. [ usually a bulk food product.]
Dress with sour cream, loosened with milk. Will take up quite a lot of milk.

Dessert
If any over from the main add pineapple pieces, marshmallow's, a bit of juice from the pineapple.

Dress with yogurt, for a lighter option. Not as popular as the sour cream.

lindylambchops1, Jan 5, 7:53am
Take a large bag of fish & chips!

surelyj1, Jan 5, 8:14am
Goodness what a crazy stressfull idea this seems to me!They must be an amazingly chilled out couple, ahh to be in love.

duckmoon, Jan 5, 10:05pm
I would take a chicken casserole. Probably using chicken thighs ( without bones, in case you don't have a table to sit at).

If you want to go done the finger food route, then fresh asparagus rolls are always popular.

Or, as some one else suggested, truffles

motorbo, Jan 5, 11:21pm
i would go with the chicken casserole idea too, or cooked cold chicken platter - annabelle langbein does one with potatoes, onions, chicken peices, lemon and herbs, i suspect it would be nice at room temp or cold too and potatoes bulk it out a bit

chatsmom, Jan 5, 11:26pm
A roast vege salad as it can be hot or cold. Goes with whatever might be there too.

ant_sonja, Jan 5, 11:26pm
What about a large antipasti style platter! Cold cured meats and sliced chorizo or salami sausage, artichoke hearts, roasted capsicum, pickled onions/gherkins, little peppers stuffed with feta, dolmades, different types of olives, pickled caper-berries, crostini, sourdough slices, some cheeses and accompanying dips.

pickles7, Jan 5, 11:33pm
Be aware of fridge space at the venue, before taking dishes, that need to be, refrigerated.
There may not even be heating facilities.
Ask, there are huge risks with this sort of function.
you could take food in a chilly bin, make sure your name is on both the lid and body.

tjman, Jan 6, 12:01am
How about a giant Paella.It doesn't matter if it gets a bit cold, as it still tastes lovely and I wouldn't think people would bring that.

urasxcqt, Jan 6, 1:13am
Orzo Pasta salad with roasted vegetables (pumpkin, kumera, onion, garlic, capsicum, potato) , sundried tomatoes and feta tossed with a balsalmic vingerette

duckmoon, Jan 6, 6:43am
If you are taking something hot, which won't be served immediately, you can put a super hot dish in a chilly bin. Heat a towel by putting water on it, and warming in the microwave. And wrap the dish in the towel,then place both in the chilly bin . Now a 'hotty' bin

motorbo, Jan 6, 6:53am
well its truly only hot if you take it out and serve then and there,,,a reheated roast vege salad is yuck

lilyfield, Jan 6, 7:46am
a ham

winnie231, Jan 6, 7:58am
A big bowl of whole cooked prawns, a bag of ice to keep them cold, a dipping sauce & bowl to put it in & a packet of napkins.
This is what friends of mine always bring to any party around here & there are never any left.

beastie3, Jan 6, 8:09am
Kumara salad.cut in cubes, add orange segs, avocado, red onion & dress with a vinaigrette.very colourful (nice for a wedding spread).sprinkle with parsley, piled high in your fanciest bowl.

beastie3, Jan 6, 8:14am
I would steer clear of chicken dishes.its the hottest time of the year and you don't know how long food will sit there waiting for uncle bobs drunken speech.and you can't be sure there will be enough chiller space at the venue. Bit of research between now & then perhaps!

toadfish, Jan 6, 9:56am
I took my brown rice salad to a wedding recently.I made 4 times the recipe and used lots of mixed roasted nuts - brazils, almonds, hazlenuts, cashews (instead of just peanuts - made it more exotic), I transported it to the venue in 2 of the largest sized snap locks bags on frozen slicker pads in a cooller bag.When I got there I just decanted it into a serving dish they had hired.

pickles7, Jan 6, 10:15am
I like brown rice but no one else dose, in my whole family, darn it.

toadfish, Jan 6, 10:19am
My DH doesn't like plain brown rice. I just turn a deaf ear to his grumbles as its so much better for him than white.
But in saying that he does love the brown rice salad. in fact most people love it and ask for the recipe.