Chicken pie

kiwitel, Jan 4, 6:50pm
I have done a search on the internet but still have a few questions. Is it nicer to use chicken stock or condensed creamy chicken soup! I was just going to make a mixture of left over smoked chicken, soup/stock!, mushrooms, onion, veges and seasoning. Never made a chicken pie before - can I put courgettes in it! If so, sliced or grated! I have ready make pastry in the freezer so thought I could use it. Any tips appreciated.

paganandbella, Jan 4, 7:55pm
i make an amazing chicken pie, its 1 pottle of cream,onion soup mix,apricot sauce mix all put into a pot untill thick, then just add your cooked chicken and veges, SO good hehe

kiwitel, Jan 4, 8:11pm
Sounds delicious!

paganandbella, Jan 4, 8:31pm
and thanks to seeing the title of this thread im off to the supermarket so i can make my chicken pie lol

gemmarose2, Jan 4, 8:33pm
here is one I love ! 1k chicken, 1 bunch spinach ( opt ), 1can watties creamy chicken soup, 1/2 c mayonnaise , 2 tsp curry pwd , 1 tsp lemon juice, button mushrooms and 3 spring onions, cook chicken, add other ingred season , put into pie cook ( I put mine into ramekins and add a pastry lid , looks great for entertaining and farmers have them cheap usually half price ) I also use this mixture for cannelloni bake or pasta :-) so yum !

sarahb5, Jan 5, 12:33am
I make my chicken pie using a standard white sauce - I didn't like it when I used smoked chicken because it was too salty which is the same reason why I don't use soup either although the leftover turkey mixed with smoked chicken and ham was good.I generally chuck in some frozen mixed veg (the chuck wagon corn mix is good).I have also made it with gravy instead of the sauce and mashed potato/kumara on top just for a change - more like a chicken version of shepherd's pie - and I added broccoli and grated zucchini.I don't use mushrooms because the kids don't like them.

kiwitel, Jan 5, 1:21am
Thanks for all of the ideas and I will try some of your suggestions when I have the ingredients onhand. I ended up going with what I had in the pantry/fridge. It's cooling in the fridge and will put the filling in the pastry later tonight. I was wondering if the smoked chicken may make it too salty but I really wanted to make a pie.
I ended up lightly frying the onion, veges (I did put courgette in), mushrooms etc. I then made a sauce (melted the butter/ stirred in the flour and added a cup of chicken stock and 1 cup milk and made it up like a white sauce). I added them together and now its cooling. Its really yummy as I had a quick taste test. I am very excited to put it together later and cook it.
It said the mixture must be cold as the pastry will go soggy so I am making sure it will be.
I am keen to experiment after this and make changes! I would love a cranberry, plum and chicken pie!

pheebs1, Jan 5, 3:57am
pies are better when the gravy is thick so however you do it
stock that is cooked down and or thickened or using canned soup just make sure its not too runny
if you watched jamie oliver do his leftover xmas turkey pie he cooked all the leftovers in quite a runny mix , strained the mix and used the left over juice to make a gravy to pour over the pie afterwards
that way the pie is meaty pastry not soggy but you have a delicious creamy gravy to pour over
ooooooooooooooooh is it dinner time yet!

kiwitel, Jan 5, 4:37am
Good tip pheeps1. Mine is thick so I did something right! Now to make it up .

hooksie60, Jan 5, 8:47am
• CHICKEN & BACON PIE
Oil for frying
2 large skinless chicken breast, diced or 500g chicken mince
1 onion - chopped
300g bacon - chopped
3Tbsps flour
1/2cup milk
1/2cup cream
1Tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2Tbsp dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
A packet of flaky pastry
Milk to glaze
Make the filling by heating a little oil in a frying pan.
Add chicken, bacon and onion and brown.
Add the flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 min.
Add the milk, cream and thyme and cook stirring until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
Line the base of the tin with pastry sheet allowing a little to overhang.
Spoon the filling in to fill the pastry case.
Brush the edges of the base with milk and apply top pastry.
Press the top onto the bottom using the fork and then trim excess pastry.
Brush pastry surface with milk.
Bake in an oven preheated to 200C for 35mins or until pastry is golden brown
This is simple but to die for! So yummy!

helen35, Jan 6, 7:35am
paganandbella.what is apricot sauce mix please! and is it a bottle of cream!

smileeah, Jan 6, 10:06pm
This recipe is a winner in our house. And so easy.
I like to addlightly steamed carrot and cauliflower.

hooksie60, Jan 7, 6:40am
agreed smileeah same in this house always a hit

molly37, Jan 7, 8:13am
I like to add mushroom and broccolli to my chicken pie. I use chicken stock and cream to thicken.Its always so tasty. yumm.

wron, Jan 8, 3:49am
Bumping back to P1

kiwitel, Jan 8, 6:38am
The pie was so delicious! The courgette was lovely in it too with the mushrooms and onion. Reading all the posts I will add a few other veges next time. The other versions posted on this thread will be fun trying! By the way- the smoked chicken was great- not salty at all and added a wonderful flavour.

destiny6nz, Aug 8, 11:43pm
im making pie today. Will have chicken, bacon, apricot and cream in mine.

daleaway, Aug 9, 12:08am
I made chicken pies last night using left over chicken, with bacon, leek, celery and peas. Just fried the bacon and chopped it, sauteed the leeks and celery in the bacon fat, added peas and chicken to the pan just enough to warm them, and seasoned them with black pepper and nutmeg. Then put them in ramekins, poured in a little cream, and topped with savoury pastry (commercial). A little sesame seed sprinkle on the top.
Very tasty.