Pork back strap

datoofairy, Jan 3, 6:21am
I have been given a piece of pork and was told its a back strap. I've never even heard of this before.
How do I cook it! Is it best cooked quickly or slowly! Roast! Fried!Casseroled! Is it a nice piece of pork, or usually considered rubbish!
Thanks.

shop-a-holic, Jan 3, 7:26am
It is the loin, and should be without skin, if presented as a backstrap.
Careful cooking is required, as its dry. It is a premium cut, so treat as either filet steak on beef, or lamb backstrap or rack. Med rare. Seeing pink is good; but please please rest in foil, on a choppingboard for the same amount of time you've cooked it for.
You have been blessed.

ridgeline, Jan 3, 7:48am
Agree with post 2, it is the premium cut. We cook ours slowly in foil in the oven with a little liquid added e.g orange juice, but it depends whether you like an introduced flavour or not. Resting is very important

datoofairy, Jan 3, 7:57am
Thank you.
I've just weighed it, its almost 600gms.What other liquid could add instead of orange juice! Would a little chicken stock be ok! I'm quite (ok, a lot) fussy and dont like fruity flavours with meat.
So I wrap it all in tin foil, sealing in some liquid with it, how long should I cook it and at what temperature please!

shop-a-holic, Jan 3, 9:04am
600gms. Season all sides with generous amounts of salt and pepper. I would sear all sides in a hot frypan; 1 minute per side; 4 sides.
Finish off in a hot oven for 20 minutes.
Wrap or cover in 4 sheets of foil for 20 minutes.
Then add the flavours you'd like as sides. This cut is too important to douse or complicate. Let the real flavour shine through.

shop-a-holic, Jan 3, 10:07am
please also ensure, your backstrap is at room temp before searing :-)