One arm cooking

dolma, Jan 2, 11:16pm
Recently a close relative had a stroke and has lost the use of her arm .She remains positive but wants to get back her independence and to do the normal things as much as possible especially in the kitchen. I have bought a great chopping board from the diability shop in Auckand that makes cutting and holding tins and jars much easier ,but I have yet to find a quality tin opener that can be used with one hand .Does anyone know of a good one handed tin opener ! .Do you have any other ideas for modifications and products for the kitchen for a one armed person !

scarlettnz, Jan 2, 11:23pm
What about an electric can opener!That might be easier to use one handed than a regular one.

Also, did the hospital not arrange for her to see an occupational therapist!That would be useful as they will be able to give her tips on how to manage things around the house (and they should also be able to suggest products which will help make life easier).

dolma, Jan 2, 11:32pm
Thanks for that .Yes she did see the O/T people and they were very helpful but now she is at home it is a matter of rearranging things in the kitchen and sourcing the "extras" that make daily life easier . I was just wondering if anyone out there could share the products they have found useful and experiences they had had, to modify kitchens .Cheers

andrew499, Jan 3, 2:33am
while i'm not confined to the use of one arm, I find my one touch can opener marvellous.I only use one hand to operate it.hope this helps.bTW, I think they're available at the warehouse as well as other places.
Cheers

margyr, Jan 3, 3:05am
get a chip basket that fits into her pot and she can boil vege in this then just lift it up to drain.

di18, Jan 3, 3:07am
I agree with one touch can opener.I broke my wrist last year and this was much easier than an electric can opener,stilll available at the warehouse.

valentino, Jan 3, 3:08am
Gosh, it is not only the kitchen things but bathroom, laundry etc etc, I temporarily know what it is like.

Had Carpal Tunnel Surgey on both hands ( not at the same time though ) and had to adapt as one could not move one arm for a period of time.

Generally best to have the main items in the kitchen set up and remain in those places minimising lifting or moving heavier items.
This is what will be needed to be looked at.
Includes like a wall installed can opener, special hook or something to open cans with tabs, easy to open items like coffee, tea, sugar, milk, fridge in general, vege peelers, cutters like knives and graters etc, oven ware to set up to suit including their storage areas. the list goes on.
Also to have foods that don't take much to prepare, cook and serve plus the actual eating.

Hopefully all can be sorted satisfactory.

Cheers and all the best.

dolma, Jan 3, 6:39am
ahh good idea re chip basket thanks Margya.I will go and checkout the openers you suggested and yes Valentino each and every step of the day has to be considered thank you for your suggestions .

gilligee, Jan 3, 7:46am
Rubber/slicone mats for none slip activity at bench or table.

figjamto, Jan 4, 7:10am
Hi, I bought up a right sided Hemipledgic (Cerebral Palsy) son, (He can not use his right hand/arm.).and found the non slip rubber/silicone mats very good to use under bowls for mixing.he liked to cook when he lived at home.also he had a nail brush with suction cups on the bottom that was very usefull, he also has a kettle that sits in a holder that he can just tip, it does not need to be picked up and poured.Occ Therapists are a great sorce of knowledge about gadgets and ideas

dolma, Jan 4, 9:27am
Many thanks Fifjamto for the ideas .Yea the Occ therapy people were greatand made suggestions we are now trying to source products that they could not supplyThe holder for the kettle sounds like a good one I will check in the Auckland shop

margyr, Jan 4, 7:02pm
check out www.life.nzl.org they are a charitable trust that has been operating in the Waikato for over 27 years and now have an online store, also their phone number is 0800 008 011, they will be able to give you suggestions for whatever problem you are having equipment wise.

dezzie, Jan 21, 7:22am
Bumping this thread because I just got mailed this battery powered jar opener that might be handy.
http://www.innovations.co.nz/Product_Detail.aspx!ParentCategoryID=179&CategoryID=44&ProductID=98209

mwood, Jan 21, 9:23pm
I have the can opener - amazing just amazing but still a little tricky getting the lid off the opener one handed - try doing it over the sink. Next I'll get the jar opener.