Cream cheese frosting HELP!

draco27, Dec 31, 8:54pm
Hey guys, im making a stockcar birthday cake for my stepdad and iv made cream cheese frosting. i think, iv never made it before so dont know what im doing. iv put 250g cream cheese 1/3 cup icing sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice, i want it chocolate, how do i do this or have i done it wrong!

neillynn, Dec 31, 8:57pm
Just add some cocoa powder or choc syrup if you have any to the taste you want, you may find you need more icing sugar

pickles7, Dec 31, 9:09pm
grate chocolate over the top.Chocolate flavoured cream cheese mmmm, something to tell the grand kids about I reckon.

pogram0, Dec 31, 9:15pm
Personally, I think 250g is too much in relation to the amount of icing sugar you have used but I'm not keen on the taste of cream cheese.I use less than half of that, zap it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to make it easy to mix and go from there, usually adding some lemon juice so that more icing sugar can be mixed in.

jazzzy, Dec 31, 10:21pm
Should be 1 C icing sugar (or 2/3 C of caster sugar) for that amount of cream cheese.

ams7, Jan 1, 1:34am
don't use light cream cheese, it doesn't firm up and will slide off your cake.

marcs, Jan 1, 2:32am
I always use 250g of cream cheese and 3/4 cup castor sugar and 100 g soft butter plus flavourings. I find using icing sugar makes the icing too runny for piping. This way the cream cheese retains it flavour and is firm enough for icing to pipe. It firms up more in the fridge.

speedy_11, Jan 1, 2:53am
Learnt that the hard way myself, didnt matter how much icing sugar I added it just wouldnt firm up!

draco27, Jan 1, 9:26pm
thanks guys, i didnt use it as it didnt even taste like chocolate! i put heaps in but still tastes like cream cheese so i will add some sugar and more icing sugar but soften it first and see if it works lol

lol pickles7, i dont have grand kids im only 19 so dont even have kids myself lol!

pheebs1, Jan 1, 10:26pm
dc cupcakes vanilla cream cheese frosting

250gm cream cheese
125 gm butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups icing sugar

divine! then you could add shaved choc on top
yum

pheebs1, Jan 1, 10:27pm
yeah thats way too much cream cheese and not enough icing sugar

pheebs1, Jan 1, 10:30pm
cream the cheese and butter together add the vanilla and 1 cup
of the icing at a time and beat with electric beaters for 3 mins till volume has risen and is light and fluffy
pipe on or spread

you can view them making it on the dc cupcake site
or georgetown cupcakes
the best!