What to do with egg yolks from Pav!

angie117, Dec 31, 6:58pm
I make a caramel sauce to go on top of pav. You then put cream on top of that.

245sam, Dec 31, 11:29pm
IMO, one of the nicest uses for the egg yolks is to make a lemon (or orange) curd and then top the pavlova with that curd - the citrus with the pavlova makes a very special dessert.:-))

Edited to add.
"I make a caramel sauce to go on top of pav. You then put cream on top of that.
Quoteangie117 (637 )7:58 am, Sun 1 Jan #5"

Having not tried a pavlova with a caramel sauce topping and being an absolute caramel fan, I can well imagine your topping option would be another delicious option - do you have a special caramel sauce recipe that includes the egg yolks, and if so, would you please share it!:-))

245sam, Dec 31, 11:29pm
IMO, one of the nicest uses for the egg yolks is to make a lemon (or orange) curd and then top the pavlova with that curd - the citrus with the pavlova makes a very special dessert.:-))

daleaway, Jan 1, 12:31am
This organised lady lists solutions by the quantity of yolks available:
http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04/recipes_to_use_up_extra_egg_yo.php

lindylambchops1, Jan 1, 1:40am
Make a sponge cake or a trifle.
Egg Yolk Sponge
Beat together 3-4 egg yolks and ½c sugar. Add ¼c boiling water and beat again.
sift and add 3oz flour, 1oz cornflour, 1tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
Bake 180º in a loose bottom tin.

raebea, Jan 5, 9:57am
I make an egg & bacon pie the same day, then add the extra yokes to the pie

nik12, Jan 5, 11:10am
Allyson Gofton has a biscuit recipe that just jues the yolks. then you put a chocolate button on top. sorry can't put my hands on the book - it's her country calander one

xtownie, Jan 5, 6:33pm
put them in the pig scraps lol

smileeah, Jan 6, 7:06am
Just made the Creme Brulee recipe on this site. First time I've ever made Creme Brulee and it looks good. I haven't tasted my one yet but 2 of my sons just wolfed theirs down and said it was really nice. That's a good sign.
Thanks for posting the link.

I should add that the yolks were left over from the icing sugar pav I made for the first time yesterday. Unfortunately my oven must run hot because the pav was overcooked and had a slight burnt taste. I will try again with a lower oven temp.

pickles7, Jan 6, 7:18am
I had one go a bit brown but was ok, I have an older oven again now , they tend to be bigger, than the newer models.

bev00, Dec 2, 8:22am
It took me ages to find a good cake recipe using only egg yolks but finally did it. It last for ages in the fridge and cuts really well.
This recipe is for 5 egg yolks but it tastes really good. I made mine in a loaf tin.
Here is a recipe for a yolk only pound cake. It's adapted from my mom's 40s-era Betty
Crocker. It's called Loaf O'Gold--and it is very gold in appearance. It's a good use of extra
yolks or a good way to get some extra whites :)
1/2 cup butter
1 c. sugar
5 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
1 and 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 c. milk
Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. add yolks one at a time, then vanilla, beat until very light and mousse-like in texture.
Wisk together dry ingredients. Add to batter, alternating with milk.
Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake at 180 degrees for 60-70 minutes.

Quotekiwitrish (214 )9:32 am, Thu

dollmakernz, Dec 2, 8:26am
Egg Yolk Sponge
Beat together 3-4 egg yolks and ½c sugar. Add ¼c boiling water and beat again.
sift and add 3oz flour, 1oz cornflour, 1tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
Bake 180º in a loose bottom tin

schnauzer11, Dec 2, 10:44am
I put them in a batch of home-made dog biscuits!

motorbo, Dec 2, 12:50pm
custard, its an aussie womans weekly recipe, mix custard powder with sugar and add milk, stiring on the heat, its a very heavy mix, once its come together you take off the heat and beat in the egg yolks and then thickened cream.its seriously the best custard ever.sorry i cant give the whole recipe, as in quanities, google may help

pickles7, Dec 2, 5:56pm
egg yolk custard

put into a bowl
6 egg yolks, 1/3 cup of cornflour, whisk in 1 cup of milk.
set aside.
Put in a saucepan
1 & 1/4 cups of whole milk, 2 tsp vanilla
sprinkle over the milk 2/3 cup of sugar
Do not stir, put on stove and watch for it to simmer.
Add a little hot milk into the cold, while whisking, maybe half, then pour it back into the saucepan, return to the heat. I turned my element down by 1/4.
stir with a wooden spoon until it is nice and thick.
This custard sets real fast, as soon as I noticed it thickening I removed it from the stove, kept whisking while it finished cooking.
I have covered it with cling film to stop it skinning over

very_hotpants, Dec 2, 8:27pm
Ice cream - my problem has been the other way - what to do with the egg whites when the family doesnt like pav or meragines.

paghan, Dec 2, 10:17pm
I found this site one day when I was googling :)
http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04/recipes_to_use_up_extra_egg_yo.php

wildflower, Dec 3, 3:02am
Thats a good idea, lots you could then do with the sponge or presumably freeze it.

bev00, Dec 23, 11:07am
KEY LIME PIE

For 8 servings:

200g digestive biscuits

75g butter

3 limes

395g can sweetened condensed milk

3 egg yolks

250ml-300ml cream

1/4 cup icing sugar

Preheat the oven to 160C.

Break biscuits into chunks, put them in a food processor and process into fine crumbs. Melt the butter, stir or process it into the crumbs.

Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 23cm pie plate or flan tin to form a crust.

Wipe out the processor, then finely grate the zest from the limes and squeeze the juice. Reserve the zest of one lime to garnish the pie. Add the remaining juice and zest to the processor along with condensed milk and egg yolks. Process to combine.

Carefully pour the filling into the crumb crust. Place the pie in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling has just set. Remove the pie from the oven and cool on a rack, then cover loosely and refrigerate for 2 1/2 hours.

Just before serving, combine the cream and icing sugar in a large bowl. Whip until the cream will just hold its shape. Spread the cream over the pie filling, sprinkle with the reserved lime zest and serve

Banana & Pecan Biscoti
Ingredients:
1 banana, mashed
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees .
2. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar and salt, and stir together.
4. In another bowl, combine the banana, egg, oil and vanilla.
5. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ones along with pecans; stir well together.
6. Flour a board and turn the dough out onto it. Form two 8-inch logs. Put onto the cookie sheet and pat down to 1/2 inch thickness.
7. Bake at 180 degrees for about 23 minutes; turn the oven down to 150 degrees.
8. Remove the logs from the cookie sheet and cool for about 10 minutes, then cut them into 1/2 inch slices and bake for 15 minutes at 250 degrees F.
9. Turn the biscotti over and bake for another 15 minutes (when you get them out, the biscotti will still be soft; they will harden as they cool).

grouch, Dec 23, 7:19pm
Make ice cream with them.

karma6, Dec 31, 9:28am
any ideas!

babytears, Dec 31, 9:45am
mayonaise or hollandaise sauce for your eggs benedict for breakfast!

tippsey, Dec 31, 10:40am
Make some Lemon Honey or Lemon Cheese.

tippsey, Dec 31, 10:41am
Add them in with a couple of other eggs and make scrambled eggs for breakfast tomorrow.