Icing with Fondant

dancewest, Dec 30, 4:39am
Hi guys. Am icing with fondant for the first time tomorrow. A 2 tier cake for my dads 55th birthday. Do you suggest I use a buttercream base on the cakes before applying the fondant!
If yes, is a general buttercream the best or do you make it slightly different for this situation!

Also, the camp seems divided over using cooking spray or icing sugar to roll out on. Suggestions!

I'll post a picture of it up once done. I got a figurine made professionally and it looks amazing. Hopefully the cakes will look just as good.

cookessentials, Dec 30, 4:42am
I would think that the fondant wont adhere or "hold" onto the buttercream icing. Cake decorators may be able to give you more specific advice.

hooksie60, Dec 30, 6:28am
I am going to try an do one shortly also and was advised by a chef to use apricot jam before putting on the fondant so will watch with anticipation :-)

cookessentials, Dec 30, 6:50am
I was going to suggest the apricot jam

nauru, Dec 30, 6:53am
Use icing sugar to dust surface before rolling out icing.

sclaredy_cat, Dec 30, 6:54am
Yep a buttercream layer, just your usual recipe, underneath the fondant is perfect to make it stick. I tend to fill the cake, then ice a very thin layer with buttercream just before adding the fondant. If its too thick, you may end up with air bubbles. If you do, pop them carefully with a fine pin. I only use apricot jam when doing fruit cake.

I usually roll out on a very light dusting of icing sugar. Just watch it if you're using a dark colour fondant as you might end up with white marks. You can sort of 'polish' fondant with the palm of your hand to get it nice and glossy again before you put it on the cake. YouTube is really helpful for getting a visual idea of how things like this are done. Best of luck :)

gardie, Dec 30, 7:12am
I prefer cooking spray - doesn't change the consistency of the fondant and doesn't become sticky (icing sugar) or powdery (cornflour).Its so much easier.

craig04, Dec 30, 7:15am
I've personally only had luck when using buttercream as a base rather than jam - I just use a basic buttercream recipe. And I use a dusting of icing sugar to roll it out on, but then I've never tried cooking spray either so I can't compare

cookessentials, Dec 30, 8:32am
That's good to know. I would have thought the fondant would slide around on the butter cream!

sclaredy_cat, Dec 30, 8:51am
Exactly - that's why I only use a thin layer to coat the cake. Only enough to stick it down really. Most of my buttercream is inside between layers of cake,makes it taste way better too I reckon :)

cookessentials, Dec 30, 9:16pm
Aahh, ok, that makes sense.

kimkat1, Dec 30, 9:59pm
I always use buttercream, unless its a fruit cake, and just the normal recipe is fine and I use cooking spray to roll out the fondant, its great, I would never go back to cornflour again. this weather is crappy to be icing a cake. humidity. good luckyour Dad will love it