Yeast conversion

jen69, Dec 30, 1:20am
Does anyone know the conversion factor (in NZ terms) for dried yeast in tsp or grams to using surebake instead!Also equivalent of a cake yeast to dried or surebake if you know this too.
I have checked online and also previous threads here but have got quite confused especially as some countries use different weight measures, and some have different names for the same product, dried, dried active, dried instant etc.If someone could de mystify this for methat would be really great. Also what would be your preference for the type of yeast to use to make something such as dutch donuts/oliebollen. I always use surebake in breadmaker but thought maybe the donuts would be better using plain dried yeast. Thanks for your help.

drofla.aviaries, Dec 30, 1:28am
My breadmaker says either 3tsp supabake or 2tsp active yeast. I use the 2tsp active yeast as I don't like using bread improver (which is in supabake yeast). That is with 3 cups of flour. Dried yeast for your oliebollen.

lala2, Dec 30, 1:33am
Hi jen69, I have just made a batch of oliebollen using the active dried yeast, not breadmakers yeast.

jen69, Dec 30, 3:04am
Thanks for that, I shall get some dried yeast . BTW how were the oliebollen!New year wouldnt be the same without them!

uli, Dec 30, 4:21am
It is not critical how much yeast you use, as during the proving stage it will multiply anyway. For most doughs up to a kg of flour use 1 teaspoon of active dried yeast if you want to bake it straight away. Less if you prove the dough in the fridge.

Do not use the surebake or breadmakers "yeast" as it is not really yeast - it has all sorts of additives which you really do not need.