Low Carbers - Vitamins & Supplements?

sticky3, Mar 31, 3:29am
Hi everyone, I am getting myself organised to start a low-carb lifestyle (have ordered my Coconut Oil, got plenty of meat and eggs, have watched Fat Head and been reading Jimmy Moore's blogs etc etc) and was wondering what vitamins are being taken by everyone who is currently eating this way. I have heard of people using a good multi-Vitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, fibre supplements, fish oil etc etc and before I go shopping I would like to get a "feel" for what others are taking and finding useful.

sticky3, Mar 31, 3:32am
Also - has anyone used Alpine Tea as opposed to a Fibre Supplement to "get things moving" when needed?

bedazzledjewels, Mar 31, 3:41am
Hi Sticky - the supplements I take aren't because I'm doing low carb; it's what I'd take anyway.
Vitamin D3, CoQ10, vitamin K2 and magnesium. And I use coconut oil. Haven't read about alpine tea.
If you have any questions, pop into the low carb thread, and there will be exciting news there tomorrow night!

sticky3, Mar 31, 3:52am
Hi bedazzled - I am usually a lurker in the Message Board but now have enough information to feel comfortable going ahead with a lifestyle change, I have a meeting tomorrow night but will be sure to check the thread when I get home! Yes there is lots of great information in there and I am really appreciative to all those who have shared what works for them.

cloudberry, Mar 31, 4:05am
Sticky, I bought the alpine tea for that very reason. But I only had it once as it tastes DISGUSTING! I find that if you supplement with enough magnesium things will start moving again! You need to keep increasing your dose until it does the trick. Sorry if this is TMI!

accroul, Mar 31, 4:45am
I don't recommend Alpine tea for keeping you regular. It might be 'natural' but what is does is cause the intestine to spasm to make the stool move, if you use it on a regular basis, your body will become dependant on it. Better to make sure you get enough fibre & take some magnesium.

sticky3, Mar 31, 5:44am
Thanks for that Accroul I had wondered about the effects of taking it long term.

kirinesha, Mar 31, 10:28am
Use flaxseed or pysllium husks (used in many commmercial brand laxatives) if you are looking to add low carb fibre to your diet.

sticky3, Mar 31, 10:49am
Thanks kirinesha I will add that to my shopping list!

maxwell.inc, Mar 31, 9:14pm
I am so not even going to list what I take... we would be here all day LOL

and they are not taken because of eating LC either :o)

uli, Apr 1, 1:16am
I am not taking any supplements - and would like to state that LC has nothing to do with having to take supplements.

Bear in mind though that a lot of people on LC are there because they have life threatening diseases ... like diabetes2 or others - the very reason they got onto LC.

So for them it might be very important to take supplements. For any "normally functioning person" - like myself - it might not be necessary.

I would be very worried if people start thinking that in order to to do LC you need to take supplements.

To the contrary: if you eat low carb and you are healthy - this is the way to eat - your ancestors ate like that - and they surely did not get any supplements - health food shops were not invented yet ...

marielize1, Apr 1, 1:27am
To add to Uli's voice, I agree, but taking D3 in NZ even if you are healthy and not low carb, is very important. We are up there with Scandinaviawith deficiency in the critical hormone Vitamin D.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 22, 9:43pm
To all of those whpo have been so supportive on our huge Low Carb / No Carb recipe thread, Bedazzled and I would like to invite you to visit our new website.

www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz

This is a completely not for profit and no products advertising site to share some of the recipes we've developed - and to provide the LC community with a dedicated message board.

Some of you will have signed up to our blog but it became rapidly apparent that the lack of indexing etc was going to limit what we could do, so we decided to do things properly. Luckily my husband is a web programmer, so between him, Dazz and I - voila!

Bon appetit!

Hope you can find the time to visit - even if you aren't low carbing the recipes are perfect to accompany with your carb of choice.