2 cups milk
7g dried yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
good pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, separated
clarified butter for cooking

Warm milk in a saucepan until blood temperature (around 36C) or until just warm to the touch. Pour into a bowl and whisk in yeast and sugar. Stand in a warm place for 15 minutes to ferment; the mixture should bubble and double in size.

Combine flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.

Whisk egg yolks and add to milk yeast mixture. Make a well in the centre of the flour and gradually stir in milk until batter is thick.
Heat fry pan over medium heat and add a spoonful of clarified butter. Place spoonfuls of mixture into pan. Cook 1-2 mins or until bubbles appear, then turn.

To serve; spoon a dollop of creme fraiche onto each blini and top with a slice of smoked salmon and a little snip of dill.

Whisk egg whites to soft peaks and fold through batter. The batter should have the consistency of a slightly loose cake batter.

bev00, Dec 2, 7:49am
Sourdough Blinis how they do them in Russia -

http://glutenfreeday.com/!p=481

wheelz, Dec 2, 9:09am
I have a simple recipe, no yeast or buckwheat. More like a savory pikelet, easy to make and cook. If you would like me to post it!

rumbledoll, Dec 2, 9:38am
I have just used the plain piklet recipe keeping the sugar to only 1 Tblspoons and added some dried herbs, salt and pepper - one teaspoon size batterinto the pan for each one.I think they turned out great - then topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon.delish.

Just thinking. chopped chives in the batter would be nice. as would smoked paprika for another flavour.

seniorbones, Dec 22, 9:16am
I have searched but it only gives ideas of what to put on them but whats the diference in a blini or savoury piklets! and if you have a recipe that would be even better. TIA

cookessentials, Dec 22, 6:05pm
blinis have buckwheat in them Maureen. I am sure I put a recipe on here once before. Shall have a look.

cookessentials, Dec 22, 6:09pm
Yeast Free Buckwheat Blinis.taken from Taste Magazine (Sophie Gray)

1/3 cup buckwheat flour
2/3 cup plain flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
½ cup cultured buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
1 Tbsp melted butter
Extra butter, for frying

Topping
1-2 Tbsp finely chopped chives or dill
¾ cup crème fraîche
Smoked salmon shavings or slices

30-plus bite-size blini

Cooking time: Less than 60 minutes

Method

In a large bowl sift together the flours, baking soda, sugar and a pinch of salt. Make a well in the middle and add the buttermilk and egg yolks. Use a whisk to mix the batter, gradually drawing the dry ingredients into the liquids to make a thick, lump-free paste.

In a clean bowl beat the egg whites until stiff, then use a metal spoon to fold them into the batter. When all the egg white is incorporated, fold in the melted butter.

Preheat 2 frying pans and melt a small knob of butter in each. When the butter is bubbling, scoop ¾ dessertspoon of batter and use your finger to slide it off the tip of the spoon into the pan. Sliding it off the tip will produce round blini; tipping off the side makes oval blini. Work quickly with batches of about 4 in each pan. When the surface begins to bubble, quickly flip each blini with a palette knife to cook the other side. When both sides are golden and blini are springy to touch, remove to a cooling rack.

To prepare topping, stir herbs into crème fraîche. Spread on blini and top with a sliver of smoked salmon.

Cook's tips

- To make a selection of each blini, divide the basic mixture into 2 or 3 portions and flavour each portion separately. Remember to reduce the proportions of the flavourings.

- Toppings and bases can be mixed and matched and cream cheese is optional. Add a herb garnish if liked.

cookessentials (1187 )6:57 am, Tue 20 Dec #10

buzzy110, Dec 22, 8:34pm
Blini's are a pikelet made with yeast and buckwheat flour. You can make the buckwheat pikelet recipe supplied by cooks, and as you have probably never tasted a blini made with yeast, I think you will find them absolutely fine for your requirements.

I usually make them in bulk, preferrably not so close to Christmas when there is so much more going on, and freeze them for later use.

seniorbones, Dec 22, 11:58pm
ok.wont bother with them today but will keep the recipe for future. I think I have too much food anyway! its only the neighbours for drinks and I have two (double recipes) of dip, crumbed prawn, chicken kebabs, chicken rolls, asparagus rolls its usually for just 2-3 hours and other times I have done a ham with yummy breads and sauces but its not reciprocated so I thought damn I will just do a few nibbles. Although do have the ingred for zuchinni and feta fritters.

seniorbones, Dec 22, 11:59pm
oh .just remember a few cheese too to create a platter with other pickles etc and a chocolate slice if needed.