Argh! I keep burning the biscuits!

roadie, Dec 21, 3:12am
For the past few weeks I have been trying to bake some biscuits (chocolate chip and shortbead) - I want to put them into a package to give away for Christmas.But, I keep burning the silly things.I have tried putting them on the lower rack, cooking for a shorter length of time, lowering the temp, . And now the last batch are still burnt underneath, whilst ok (barley cooked) on top.

I am about to cut out the next dough mix for the shortbread to put not the oven now . Any tips on how to stop these ones from burning!Might just dump the dough into the fridge to roll out later, and go buy pre made cookies from the local bakery, and pretend I made them!

kinna54, Dec 21, 5:01am
What sort of tray are you using: Are you greasing it too much and therefore the butter is burning the bottoms:Maybe cook biccies on a sheet of baking paper:
Also what temp is your oven on, should be around 180deg for biccies, tray in the middle of the oven,( putting near the bottom will cause the burning)and are you just using plain bake setting on the oven not fan bake.
Also really cream the mix (as in beating) to ensure the butter is well mixed in:
Also shortbread is usually quite pale on top.
I have just made the shrewsbury bic recipe in star and xmas treeshapes this afternoon, , that one always turns out well, and has the lovely lemon flavour. Good idea putting your dough in the fridge, roll it out between two sheets of baking paper, easier to handle.
Hope these ideas work for you. Sure they will taste devine! Good luck!

susieq9, Dec 21, 5:30am
My shortbread is baked at 150C for 40 minutes, this also depends on the thickness you have made them.Oven rack is about one third up from the bottom.

tailz, Dec 21, 6:23am
cook the cookies on baking paper.i also suggest if you have fan bake to use it as it will help to even out the oven temp.if you do use fanbake remember to drop the temperature 20 degrees.to be honest it sounds like you may need a new oven.

roadie, Dec 21, 9:27am
Thanks everyone . Will give it a go tomorrow.The dough is currently wrapped up in glad wrap and in the fridge.I have been cooking them on the middle shelf, then another time on the bottom shelf, bake (don't have fan bake) at 180 first time, and 160 second time. This time was around 160.I will try using the baking paper tomorrow, I was wondering if it was the butter burning them.Practice makes perfect!

roadie, Dec 21, 9:28am
I should say, it was the choc chip ones at those temperatures - the shortbread has a lower temp in the book (edmunds cook book).

kuaka, Dec 21, 10:07am
It does depend a lot on the oven.I rarely use my oven above 150 for anything (scones being one exception - sorry I mean "rocks").If you haven't got a fan bake oven I would cook them more in the middle or even higher.Oh just a thought, is it electric or gas oven, and where is the heat source!Where in the oven is the element or gas jet!If it's at the bottom, then don't have the tray too close to it.