Feeding the vegetarians at Xmas

roshu, Dec 21, 1:39am
Cashew Nut Roast with Herb Stuffing
(from Rose Elliot: A Vegetarian Christmas)

50gm margarine
1 large onion
225gm unroasted cashews
100gm white bread
2 large garlic cloves
200ml water or stock
salt and pepper
grated nutmeg
1TB lemon juice

• preheat the oven to 200C
• line a 450gm/1lb loaf tin with paper and grease with some of the margarine
• fry the onion in the margarine for 10 minutes at a low heat until soft but not browned
• grind the cashews in a food processor, then remove and process the bread until it is in crumbs
• place all other ingredients in the food processor and mix.
• put half of the cashew mix into the tin, top with the stuffing, then put the rest on top
• stand the loaf tin in a baking tray to catch any oozing oil, and bake for about 20 minutes until firm and browned
• remove from the oven, let stand for a few minutes, then slip a knife around the sides of the tin and turn out.

Stuffing:
100gm white breadcrumbs
50gm margarine
1 small onion, grated
½ tsp. thyme
½ tsp. marjoram
25gm parsley, chopped

• process the bread in the food processor until it is crumbed
• add other stuffing ingredients and mix well

frances1266, Dec 21, 2:51am
I have made this every Christmas for years, is yum.

kev1987, Dec 21, 3:03am
Any recipe that starts with a first ingredient of margarine has to be the work of the devil! ;)

hezwez, Dec 22, 5:48am
Is it just as nice cold Rose/Frances! I'm house sitting with an unfamiliar oven and would prefer many salad things and the loaves cooked (slightly) in advance in my own oven if possible.

frances1266, Dec 22, 6:20am
Yes it is really good cold

frances1266, Dec 22, 7:33am
I think I would cook it longer than 20 mins though/

hezwez, Dec 22, 8:16am
Thanks. A happy Christmas to you.

guest, Jan 11, 1:10pm
AFAIC tht'as the best answer so far!

guest, Jan 13, 2:26pm
The Absent Game In between me and my hunsbad we've owned extra MP3 gamers through the years than I can count, like Sansas, iRivers, iPods (basic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few decades I've settled down to one line of players .

guest, Jan 14, 10:16am
I just made this. I had to make some changes due to the fact I didn't have muhsrooms, which i love. But I didn't have any, so as a filler I used 1 cup of corn. It was still delicious.