Nuts for christmas nibbles.

korbo, Dec 20, 9:37am
has anyone a nice quick and easy recipe for either spicy nuts, savoury and sweet. I remember my late mum used to make some that seemed to have a crunchy topping on them (get what i mean), but cant find a recipe in her book.
what nuts are best, and what spices. thanks.

elliehen, Dec 20, 9:40am
Here's an older post, korbo.

maximus44, Dec 20, 6:57pm
SPICED PEANUTS
I make these every Christmas and they are very popular.

1 egg white
1 teaspoon cold water
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon`
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 tsp mixed cloves
500g raw peanuts

With a fork, lightly mix egg white and water together. put the sugar and spices in a bowl, mixing to combine. Coat the peanuts with the egg white misture. Add the sugar mixture. Shake and stir to evenly coat the peanuts. Place nuts into a large, lightly greased oven-proof dish. Bake at 130C for 1 1/2 hours stirring or shaking the nuts every 15 minutes. Allow to cool before storing in a jar or container. Makes about 4 cups.

They have a crunchy coating. This recipe can easily be doubled.

korbo, Dec 20, 7:40pm
thanks, off to get nuts now.

cookessentials, Dec 20, 11:00pm
sugared almonds is on the foodie gifts thread

jennie5963, Dec 21, 12:53am
CURRIED NUTS
3 1/2 cups raw nuts
1/4 cup oil
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 cup sultanas
2 cups crispy noodles
Place nuts in roasting dish, mix curry powder & oil together and toss to coat nuts.
Roast @ 180 C for 10 mins or till lightly golden.
Leave in roasting dish till cold, mix in sultanas and noodles.
Store in airtight container.

cookessentials, Dec 21, 8:20am
These sugared almonds are really delicious, they never last long in our house! I put them into a glass clip-top jar and tie with a tartan ribbon. They really are super easy to make and look fabulous.

110g caster sugar
60ml water
240g blanched almonds
30g butter

Combine the sugar and water in a medium heavy based saucepan, stir over heat, wiithout boiling, until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered, without stirring until mix reaches soft ball stage (115C on candy thermometer) or when a teaspoon of syrup dropped into a cup of cold water, moulds easily with fingers into a soft ball. Remove pan from heat, stir in almonds, stir until mixture crystalises. Return to heat, stir over low heat until almonds turn golden and are coated with the caramel. Add butter, stir until melted. Turn almonds onto a large oven tray. Separate almonds using two forks while still hot. When completely cold, you can then store them in an air tight jar/container.

maximus44, Dec 22, 6:12pm
Made the spiced nuts as above yesterday. Doubled the recipe and are just as good as they ever are.