FRESH STRAWBERRYS DOES ANYONE KNOW

Page 1 / 2
anita502, Dec 19, 7:57pm
if they can be frozen and if so how do you do it as have got them for xmas any help would be appreciated.

245sam, Dec 19, 8:03pm
anita502, IMO strawberries are best eaten and enjoyed fresh, not frozen.:-))

scout_6001, Dec 19, 8:11pm
Just found out a tip for removing the hull of a strawberry, use a straw and stick it into the bottom of the strawberry right up to the green part and remove.if you wanted to, chocolate or some sort of lolly could be put into that part.

lilyfield, Dec 19, 8:14pm
frozen strawberries turn to mush once defrosted. Only good for smoothies and shakes or jam.

anita502, Dec 19, 8:39pm
Thanks everybody for the tips and advice looks like i will have to eat them before xmas as don't think they will keep till then.

cookessentials, Dec 19, 9:00pm
They can be frozen, however, they are really only good for making jam or putting into baked goods, not served thawed.

lodgelocum, Dec 19, 9:00pm
Frozen good for making ice cream.I am buying my fresh strawberries direct from the farm on Thursday so hoping they will be good for the big day.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 19, 9:06pm
If your fridge is at the correct temp of 4 deg (or 3 if you like it colder - Easy to do with a digital fridge but a fridge thermometer is all you really need) then they will keep in their plastic container at the TOP of the fridge for over a week.I still have a punnet bought last Tuesday and they are still fresh as the day bought.

lisa35, Dec 19, 11:10pm
can i freeze a strawberry cheesecake!

celosia, Dec 20, 12:18am
hi scout - just tried this and it is so easy - what a neat idea.They could be left on the straw, (maybe cut straw smaller) dipped in chocolate and put in glasses or similar which would be different.At the last minute a dusting of icing sugar over them really adds to the look.

harrislucinda, Dec 20, 12:48am
puticing sugarat thebottomofcontainerwithstrawberriesinthathelpsaswellwhileinfridge

gardie, Dec 20, 2:47am
But you'd loose the whole centre of the strawberry - or is that just my interpretation of the instructions.Strawberries are just too good to waste that much of each one!

buzzy110, Dec 20, 3:32am
I hate it when people remove the green part of strawberries. That is just way too much handling. It is bad enough that pickers and sorters get to handle the fruit first but at least they can be washed, sort of. But people very rarely rewash strawberries once they handle them to take off the green part. Why are people no longer able to remove inedible parts of food themselves! The very act of doing that slows down the eating process for one.

I suppose it is the new way of eating. I blame processed food. Everything has been rendered down to a consistency where teeth are unnecessary and food can be hovered up at a mighty pace without any savouring. I suppose that is because if people actually tasted the food they were eating they'd very soon start to recognise the taste of all the added chemicals and ingredients that they wouldn't personally choose to eat separately - vegetable fats, for instance. Lol

celosia, Dec 20, 3:37am
nah, you hardly lose anything from the centre unless a larger milkshake type straw is used.I hear what you are saying too but have you noticed how many people stand about holding the green bits in their hands, not knowing what to do with them!

samsnan, Dec 20, 3:37am
Goodness me not another lecture. (running out fast)

elliehen, Dec 20, 3:43am
ALISON HOLST:
INSTANT ICE-CREAM FROM FROZEN STRAWBERRIES

For 3–4 servings
2 cups frozen (diced) free-flow strawberries
½ cup icing sugar
about ½ cup chilled cream, milk or yoghurt

Chop berries into 5mm–1cm cubes. Fruit must be frozen hard, free-flow and in small pieces when used. Tip into food processor bowl. Work quickly to keep fruit very cold. Process with metal chopping blade until fruit is finely chopped (10–20 seconds). This is a noisy operation. Without delay, add the icing sugar and process briefly until mixed.

With machine running, add the chilled liquid of your choice through the feed-tube in a fine stream, until a smooth, frozen cream has formed. The amount needed varies from batch to batch. Stop as soon as the mixture is evenly textured and creamy.

Serve ice cream made with chilled milk or yoghurt immediately. If made with cream, it may be frozen for later use if desired. Options: Experiment with other berries, berry mixtures and cubed raw fruit. Berries with many seeds are not successful and bland fruit does not make memorable ice cream.

agave1, Dec 20, 4:19am
A strawberry grower told me this. take the strawberries out of their punnets, wrap them up in kitchen paper towels, then put them into an airtight plastic container in the fridge.Will last 2 weeks.It works!

supra_luva, Dec 20, 5:47am
sort through them and take out any damaged ones then keep in a sealed plastic container - fine after a week

gardie, Dec 20, 5:57am
Great tip - Thanks!Strawberries are the usual reason for my last minute shopping.Am still getting a few from the garden - I'll need to try it with them too.Thanks again.

sla11, Dec 20, 6:07am
Have friend who's fab cook - freezes Strawberry Cheesecakes all the time and are absolutely beaut!

lodgelocum, Dec 20, 6:46am
I like to make a proper egg/sugar/milk/cream base for my ice cream, cook the strawberries and strain through a sieve.My children bought me an ice-cream machine a few Christmas's ago and use it all the time.

griffo4, Dec 20, 6:51am
l put my strawberries into a glass jar and put the lid on and they keep well in the fridge for about 5 days l have some in there now ready to use on Christmas day

groomingtools, Dec 20, 8:49am
Lay them out in a single layer on a tray in the fridge - its when they touch or are piled that they go off

scout_6001, Dec 21, 3:13am
lol you don't use a drainpipe to do it gardie:) a fine straw does the trick.If you are the lucky person doing the hulling you can have the center out of all of the strawberries.

me-shell1, Dec 21, 4:07am
i put mine in my tuppaware fridge mate and they last for a good two weeks, so as above, an airtight container.