How do you prepare your leg of pork for roasting

niamhrose, Apr 22, 10:40pm
HELP PLEASE:Approximately how long would I continue to cook a leg of pork at 155C as I do not have a temperature gauge to measure 143F.

porka1, Apr 23, 12:52am
Cook till the juices run clear when you probe the meat at itsthickest point.A little pink in the middle is good.

karenz, Apr 23, 2:29am
As above but I use sesame oil and rub salt and 5 spice powderinto the rind. Was listening to a cookon the radio a few weeks ago and they said the reason pork rind was so crispy in some Chinese restaurant meals is because they dry out the rind then pour boiling water over it and then cook.Haven't tried it myself though.

gardie, Dec 19, 8:38am
Dry the skin thoroughly (paper towels) and score if it hasn't already been done for you.Sprinkle over some oil and rub this in then sprinkle with salt - plenty of it.Startoff in a very hot oven (maximum) for 20 mins then turn down to cook.Have heard of using flour as well but I think this is just to ensure that the skin is dry so that it crackles well.

skydancing, Dec 19, 8:54am
To get the best crackling of all make sure you have had the meat out of the fridge for an hour at least before putting in the oven. A tip I was told about and it does make a big difference.I do what gardie does as well though but without the flour!

fisher, Dec 19, 9:58am
Chilled pork is easier to score and cut.
Score right down to fat, pour over boiling water, let cool. Now dry off , the skin will shrink. rub with oil and sprinkle on lots of salt and black pepper.
Initially, roast for 20 minutes at 220°c ( this helps to get the fat bubbling under the skin ) Now open the door for a few minutes and turn the heat down to 180°c and cook as required for the size.

shop-a-holic, Dec 19, 10:08am
Actually, you are all correct.
Pork is easier to score when its cold. Do this two days before you want to cook it. Leave it uncovered in the fridge to dry out. The skin will shrink, under these conditions, which negates the need to pour boiling water over.
Cooking day: bring to room temp around 1-2 hours before placing in the oven. As above sprinkle liberally with salt. Use a RICE BRAN OIL spray to spray the top of the pork, instead of rubbing in and displacing salt.
ROAST MODE: = FAN BAKE at 500F or 250C. In the middle of the oven for 20 MINS.
Your crackling will be mostly down at this stage.
TURN DOWN OVEN TEMP to 330F or 155C.
Cook until internal meat temp reaches 143F.

fifie, Dec 19, 10:56pm
Yep this is the way i always go now with the pork roast, crackling always so yummy, Merry Xmas fisher to you and your family.

fisher, Dec 20, 1:52am
Hey Fifie. nice to see you.yup tried and true. still doing it the same way . the boiling water makes if shrink before your eyes and the skin crackles up nicely. I still use olive oil and pour it over and rub the salt and pepper in by hand.and into the cracks. dont use garlic anymore but some sage sprigs stuck in here and there . Hope your Xmas goes well for you and yours and the New year and 2012 is good for you.

lodgelocum, Dec 20, 2:13am
I do it exactly the same as this, minus the flour.Great crackling every time.

cookessentials, Dec 20, 3:00am
I do a rolled loin of pork with apples and caramelised onion jam which is lovely. To prepare the pork, I place on a rack and rub olive oil and salt into the rind. I bake it in a hot oven, uncovered for twenty minutes, then reduce the heat to moderate and bake, uncovered for a further 1 1/4 hours. This is for a 2.5kg boned and rolled loin of pork.

tokokkk, Dec 20, 9:25am
thank you so much, if I was to use some herbs for a little extra flavour would sage be the one to use. TIA.