FOODIE GIFT IDEAS

cookessentials, Dec 18, 8:47pm
These sugared almonds are really delicious, they never last long in our house! I put them into a glass clip-top jar and tie with a tartan ribbon. They really are super easy to make and look fabulous.

110g caster sugar
60ml water
240g blanched almonds
30g butter

Combine the sugar and water in a mediumheavy based saucepan, stir over heat, wiithout boiling, until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered, without stirring until mix reaches soft ball stage (115C on candy thermometer) or when a teaspoon of syrup dropped into a cup of cold water, moulds easily with fingers into a soft ball. Remove pan from heat, stir in almonds, stir until mixture crystalises. Return to heat, stir over low heat until almonds turn golden and are coated with the caramel. Add butter, stir until melted. Turn almonds onto a large oven tray. Separate almonds using two forks while still hot. When completely cold, you can then store them in an air tight jar/container.

chooky, Dec 18, 9:44pm
Yum, would you like my address now!.

tipsy_bl0nde, Dec 19, 2:56am
AGREED!

cookessentials, Dec 19, 3:08am
These are the sorts of things I often do for gifts or just to have in a bowl to nibble with coffee. The problem is, they are so moreish, you cant stop eating them.

cookessentials, Dec 19, 3:20am
Rosemary Cheese Wreaths
Can be made 4-5 days ahead and stored in an airtight container.
150g plain flour
2 tbsp s.r flour
1/2 tsp hot paprika
125g butter
1 tsp caraway seeds
60g grated cheddar cheese
20 g grated parnesan cheese
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp fresh Rosemary leaves.

Sift flours and paprika into medium bowl, rub in butter, stir in seeds, cheeses and water, mix to a soft dough. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Divide dough into twelve portions, roll each piece into 60cm log. Cut each log into 12cm lengths. Twist two lengths together, press ends together to form wreaths. Place about 2cm apart on greased trays, decorate with tiny springs of Rosemary. Refrigerate 30 mins. Bake in moderate oven about 20 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool on trays. Makes about 30

elliehen, Dec 19, 4:26am
Have just moved baalamb's great idea over from another thread, because it's a good'un :)

cookessentials, Dec 19, 4:40am
Brilliant, thanks baalamb and ellie

cookessentials, Dec 19, 5:45pm
Up for more.

cookessentials, Dec 19, 8:58pm
GOURMET ROCKY ROAD

300g toasted marshmallow with coconut, chopped coarsely
400g Turkish delight, chopped coarsely
40g roasted almonds, chopped coarsely
75g roasted shelled pistachios
450g white eating chocolate, melted

Grease two 8cm x 26cm bar cake pans; line base and sides with baking paper; extending paper 5cm above long sides. I just use a lamington pand for this as bar pans are hard to get.

Combine marshmallow, Turkish delight and nuts in large bowl. Working quickly, stir in chocolate; spread mixture in to pans, push mixture down firmly to flatten. Refrigerate until set, then cut as desired.

hezwez, Dec 19, 9:15pm
Layered Chocolate Brownie
In a jar, layer in the following order:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips (brown or white or combo)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup slivered almonds.
Write the following on the label (to be tied around the neck of the jar with ribbon or taffeta)
whisk lightly together:
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
Pour the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, add wet and lightly mix to moisten. Bake in 20cm diameter approx tin for about 30 mins at 180.
When cold cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.
Fudgy, delicious, a pretty and practical gift.
My apologies for not remembering who to credit this with, it's from a recent parenting magazine.

mattdylan, Dec 19, 9:18pm
I made ROCKY ROAD and thought I would get festive and put in green and red lollies from the supermarkt bin inn, and they are SO CHEWY I think some people might break their teeth so now I am having second thoughts on giving them out!

cookessentials, Dec 19, 10:44pm
CHERRY RELISH

300g frozen cherries, thawed
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

Pulse all ingredients, except the vinegar, in a small blender until
coarsely chopped. Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to the boil;
reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and
cherries are tender. Add vinegar, stir to combine and set aside until ready to
serve. Serve warm or cold.

cookessentials, Dec 20, 11:01pm
Up for korbo for the sugared almonds

cookessentials, Dec 21, 8:32am
SLICE AND BAKE BISCUITS

250g butter
200g icing sugar mixture
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
300g plain flour
75g rice flour
50g cornflour
2 tablespoons milk

Note: This recipe makes 48 biscuits and can be made a week ahead. Store biscuits in a glass jar or in an airtight container.

Beat the butter, icing sugar mixture and vanilla essence in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir in the combined sifted flours in 2 batches, then the milk; mix well.

Divide the mixture in half. Knead each half on a lightly floured surface until smooth, then roll each half into a 25cm log. Wrap each log in baking paper and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.

If you are not intending to bake biscuits within 2 days, wrap them in foil and freeze.

Preheat oven to moderately slow (160C). Cut the logs into 1cm slices and place 3cm apart on greased oven trays.

Bake the biscuits in a moderately slow oven for about 20 minutes or until a pale golden colour.

Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
Variations

Orange and poppyseed
Omit vanilla essence and beat one tablespoon of finely grated orange rind with butter and icing sugar, then add 1 1/2 tablespoons of poppy seeds with combined sifted flours.

Pecan and cinnamon
Add one teaspoon of ground cinnamon to sifted flours and stir through one cup 100g toasted chopped pecans. Sprinkle biscuits with two tablespoons of cinnamon sugar before baking.

Lemon and pistachio
Omit vanilla essence and beat one tablespoon of finely grated lemon rind with butter and icing sugar, then stir through 110g of toasted chopped pistachios with combined sifted flours.

cookessentials, Dec 21, 8:42am
Christmas Spice Biscotti

4 egg whites
180g caster sugar
200g plain flour
60g citrus peel
60g pistachios
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice

Beat egg whites with an electric beater until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar until dissolved. Beat in remaining sugar a little at a time until thick and glossy. Then fold flour, pistachios, peel and gingerbread spice into the meringue. Spread mixture into a lamington pan.

Bake it for 50 minutes at 160C.

Take it out, and place it on a cutting board and let it cool for 2—3 Hours

Then slice it very thin and place it on a baking tray and bake it for 5 more minutes until crispy.

cookessentials, Dec 22, 7:07am
Bumping up fot the biscotti recipe.

rrrg, Dec 22, 7:33am
Cooks - do you not roll your biscotti like a log.

nunesy, Dec 22, 6:08pm
For the marshmallow sticks - dip into sprinkles for a very cute kid gift (I put two into long cellophane bags).The 'Santa Long Legs' marshmallows are cool cos they have red and green in them so look festive.
For gourmet rockyroad - add dried cranberries; softer than jube lollies but look and taste awesome.Also you can make Christmas Bark which is basically rocky road but in a thinner layer and then just break it up into rough pieces and put in a lined giftbox or cello bag.

cookessentials, Dec 22, 6:21pm
some I do, but not this one.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 21, 10:45pm
Bump for Cookessentials' ideas.