Those of you doing the traditional Turkey on xmas

fpress, Dec 17, 10:32pm
day.what/how are you doing vege wise! Apart from the obvious roasted potatoes/pumpkin and kumera. What green veges are you doing! TIA
Catering for 17 people and dont want to serve overboiled broccoli!

fpress, Dec 17, 10:44pm
bmp

lyingnun, Dec 17, 10:48pm
Minted Peas are easy and convenient

daleaway, Dec 17, 11:34pm
Asparagus and green beans always go down well.

Silverbeet and broad beans because our garden is full of them!

fisher, Dec 18, 12:54am
you could do some roast onions and carrots as well. now as far as peas are concerned. take a saucepan and fill with water and a tsp of salt. now when you take your turkey out and put it on the bench to rest.(rest for an hour covered in foil and a damp tea towel)fire up this saucepan and bring it to the boil. place your steamer on top with LARGE florets of broccoli(1/2's for guys then quarter for women and children. LOL.).with the stalks facing up. by leaving them LARGE. they wont have that boiled out taste and texture. warm plates up in oven. this now leaves you free to start serving the veges from the roasting dish. and then making the roasting pan gravy on the stove top. turn the broccoli over,.
Hubby should about this time be carving turkey or meat and plating up or putting into self serve dish.what about the peas I hear you say lol:}}put a knife into the broccoli to ensure still nice and firm. wash your frozen peas in warm tap water. then straight into the boiling water under the broccoli.turn off the element and serve the broccoli and place the gravy into your serving jug. The peas will now be ready. just thawed and heated through. and real tasty just like they came from the garden and not wizened up. Now I like to put some peas in a serving dish (some folks dont like gravy) and also in a separate gravy jug, put in some peas and cover with gravy,,when you pour out this gravy,, you get some peas as well. looks great.BTW do cauli the same way if you want.
Meeery Xmas have a goodun.

fec2003, Dec 18, 2:01am
Make your gravy special, too. My dear old Dad used to be in charge of Christmas dinner. He used to get the giblets andboil them, to get the stock. He also placed the turkey in a roasting pan and poured about 500ml - 700ml water in the base, covering the bird tightly with foil for the first hour of cooking. Take it off and drain the water into the stock pan. Make the gravy while the turkey rests, so you can use any last fluids and brown bits from the bottom. To the stock, as you thicken the gravy, add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger and a generous pinch of nutmeg, salt and black pepper. I copy him now he's gone and everyone loves the results. It really enhances the flavour of the turkey and if there's some left, is a really good base for a soup later on!

(freeze the remaining bones and any scraps of meat and any leftover gravy so you can boil it up and make a really scrummy soup later in the new year!)

fpress, Dec 19, 7:41am
OMG fisher thank you for your response! I will attempt that feat of domestic godliness!