Mushroom and spinach curry

kaylin, Dec 17, 10:20pm
Does anyone have a recipe!I had a delicious one last night when i was out.I have been googling but they all seem very complicated (or include chicken).It needs to be vegetarian. Thanks in advance.

davidt4, Dec 17, 10:47pm
Not sure what you mean by very complicated .Most curries contain a large number of spices but the techniques are straightforward.I will find you something if no-one else comes up with anything, but it might involve a lot of ingredients.

kaylin, Dec 17, 10:54pm
I think I looked at the list of ingredients and thought that the large number would therefore make it complicated. I didn't read the instructions. The curries we have had home (which i don't personally like) are quick and simple and just use valcoms green curry paste.i'd like something different, that doesnt come in a packet or jar (because that is usually all we have).

davidt4, Dec 18, 12:21am
Here's a very simple one.

Lentil, Mushroom and Spinach curry
serves 4

200g red lentils
1 tab ghee, butter or coconut oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small brown onion, sliced thinly
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 small green chillies, sliced thinly
200g baby button mushrooms, halved
2 c water
1 teaspoon garam masala
250g baby spinach leaves

Yoghurt Sauce

1 cup (280g) unsweetened full fat natural yogurt
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon salt

Wash lentils thoroughly under running water to remove any dirt or stones.

Heat fat in wok or large frying pan. Add seeds, stir-fry until fragrant. Add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli; stir-fry until onion is soft. Add mushrooms, stir-fry until browned lightly.

Add drained lentils and water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.

Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.

Add garam masala and spinach to curry, stir until spinach is wilted; transfer to a serving dish.

Serve with Yogurt Sauce.