Treacle tart with cornflakes?

luckyduck, Mar 30, 3:12am
My aunt was reminiscing about a tart my late grandmother used to make. She thought it was a treacle or golden syrup tart that had cornflakes or wheatbix crumbled on it or in it. It may have been a made up recipe or something that was popular approx 60 years ago. If this sounds familiar to anyone, I would love a recipe to pass on to my Aunt to try. cheers.

hezwez, Jun 3, 6:39am
I'm resurrecting this thread in the hope that someone can come up with a recipe as luckyduck suggested. My husband is reminiscing about a treacle tart that (he said) has breadcrumbs in the topping. Being a good wife, I'd so like to surprise him!

245sam, Jun 3, 6:48am
hezwez, I don't recall ever trying or making such a tart but I AM sure that I have seen such a recipe somewhere over the years and your DH's recollections are what jogged my memory i. e. the treacle AND the breadcrumbs - I must try to locate the recipe so that you really can surprise your man with this sweet treat which in its day was probably another way for the wise cooks of the time to both fill the hungry tummies and use the stale bread which may otherwise have been wasted. :-))

hezwez, Jun 3, 6:54am
Thanks 245sam, I'd so love to treat him. It could well have been something his Mum made him 70 odd years ago.

245sam, Jun 3, 9:40am
hezwez, so far I have found a recipe in Aunt Daisy's Cookbook for a Goathland Treacle Tart (Yorkshire) but it's not quite what I was thinking of - I was thinking of, and i'm sure I've seen a recipe for one that did not have any fruit in it at all so the filling looked more like ? (pumpkin pie filling). The recipe I have found DOES have the breadcrumbs but it also has dried fruit (sultanas, currants and peel) and an apple - do you think that is what your DH remembers? :-))

cookessentials, Jun 3, 9:50am
I love treacle tart, my Mum makes it but i dont remember it having weetbix or cornies on it! -breadcrumbs is the traditional one I am sure.

cookessentials, Jun 3, 9:54am
PASTRY
225g /8oz plain flour
Pinch salt
25g /1 oz fine sugar
115g /4oz very cold unsalted butter
Cold water to mix
FILLING
300g /10oz golden syrup
1 heaped tbsp black treacle
Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
4 medium free range eggs
25g /1oz fresh bread crumbs

Heat the oven to 180ºC
Place the flour, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. With the processor running add the water a few drops at a time until the dough comes together. Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for an hour.
Roll out the pastry and line a loose bottomed tart tin the place in the fridge for 30 mins.
Meanwhile, mix together the golden syrup and treacle with the lemon juice. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add to the treacle mixture. Finally stir in the bread crumbs.
Carefully pour the mixture into the prepared tart case.
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the crust and filling are golden brown and firm to the touch.
Serve warm with crème fraiche which balances really well with the sweetness of the tart or a good vanilla ice cream

hezwez, Jun 3, 1:37pm
I made him this tonight and he was kind & appreciative, (he knows me well! ) but it's not what he remembers and tasted like Christmas mince pie filling.
Cookessentials I'm sure that yours must be the one, but the silly duffer won't eat eggs, hasn't for forty years, so he'll have to miss out. He seems to think I can create eggless magic in the kitchen. Even his dear old Mum wouldn't pass muster in this case I think, but thanks both of you!

cookessentials, Jun 3, 7:06pm
Aah, but will he KNOW there is eggs in it?

hezwez, Jun 3, 9:18pm
He always asks and I always tell... he's adamant so it's a lost cause. But when I explained just now he began the "but couldn't you just make it without the eggs"... arghhh! I'd love if HE did the cooking.

doug57, Jun 3, 9:19pm
http://www.ifood. tv/recipe/treacle_tart

cookessentials, Jun 3, 9:47pm
Well, I would just say no. You will find there is so much flavour in this that there is no way he would be able to taste them. I have a friend whose husband "hates pumpkin"she took my recipe for the pumpkin loaves and made them - she did not tell him that there was pumpkin in it and he just loves it! ! she told him later on, but he still loves them!

hezwez, Jun 3, 10:10pm
I have to be upfront, it's not that he's faddy, it's an 'ethical' decision he made, he'd never trust me again if I did that. :-((

nauru, Jun 4, 5:08am
I remember this tart from my school dinner days

Treacle Tart
120g Kellogg's Corn Flakes (lightly crushed)
25g butter or margarine
100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
400g golden syrup
Grated rind and juice of one unwaxed lemon

Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F), gas mark 4
Place Kellogg's Corn Flakes in a plastic bag and lightly crush with a rolling pin. Melt butter in a large saucepan over a gentle heat and stir in Corn Flakes (reserve 2 tbsp for decoration). Mix well , press into a 20 - 22cm greased flan dish building up the sides to form a flan case and cool in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. make fine breadcrumbs using a food processor and transfer to the same saucepan used for melting butter. Add the syrup (reserving 1 tsp for topping), grated lemon rind and juice. Stir over a very gentle heat for 2-3 minutes to allow breadcrumbs to swell a little. Pour mixture into flan case. Using reserved Corn Flakes create a star shape (or shape of your choice) on top of the tart and lightly drizzle 1 tsp of syrup on cereal around the edge. Bake in a moderate oven at 180°C for 25 minutes until golden brown and set. Run a knife around the edge of the tart whilst still warm. Serve warm or leave to cool

cookessentials, Jun 4, 9:25am
Oh, well, that is different then

elliehen, Jun 4, 12:03pm
This is reminiscent of the Pennsylvania Dutch 'Shoo Fly Pie':

Ingredients
1 (9 inch) pie shell
1 cup molasses
3/4 cup hot water
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup shortening

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
To Make Bottom Layer: In a medium bowl combine molasses, hot water, and baking soda. Stir well. Whisk in beaten egg. Pour mixture into pie shell.
To Make Crumb Topping: In a medium bowl combine flour and brown sugar. Mix well, then cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of molasses layer.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake an additional 30 minutes.

"Shoofly pie (or shoo-fly pie) is a fluffy molasses pie considered traditional among the Pennsylvania Dutch and also known in Southern cooking.

The term 'shoo-fly pie' first appeared in print in 1926. The pie may get its name because the molasses attracts flies that must be 'shooed' away, but the name is more likely an anglicisation of 'soufflé. "~ Wikipedia

hezwez, Jun 4, 8:19pm
Sounds scrummy elliehen but I can't be using the excuse that I have to eat a whole shoo-fly pie myself because my DH doesn't eat eggs now, can I?

luckyduck, Jul 7, 5:58pm
Thanks for all the recipes. We are having a mid winters xmas dinner soon and my Auntie will be joining us. I will make Naurus and cookessentials versions and see which one is the one like she remembers.