Chocolate Log Recipies

buckely, Dec 17, 1:23am
Does anyone have any good chocolate log recipes!

245sam, Dec 17, 1:30am
buckely, I'm not sure if the following is what you mean by "chocolate log" but I can assure you that it's a very tempting and Christmassy item to have on hand, and it freezes really well too.

CHOCOLATE “SALAMI”
1 x 250g packet gingernuts
2-4 tbsp dark rum
150g plain dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
50g unsalted butter
1 egg
150g glace cherries
icing sugar for rolling

Put the gingernuts in a food processor and whiz until they are finely crushed. Tip the gingernut crumbs into a bowl and sprinkle them with the rum. Mix with a fork.
Place the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot, not boiling, water and leave it to melt. Stir in the butter until melted. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and beat the egg into the warm mixture. Add the crushed gingernuts and the whole cherries and mix well. Leave to cool, then form the mixture into 2 logs, each 5cm Ø. Sift the icing sugar on to a bench and roll each log in the icing sugar until well coated. Wrap the logs in greaseproof paper and chill until firm. Store in a cool place. To serve, cut into very thin slices and kept chilled until ready to serve.

Hope that helps.:-))

trademequeen, Dec 17, 1:47am
This one made with biscuits has been a standby in our house for entertaining :)

Chocolate log
1 (250 g) packet chocolate chip biscuits
1/2 cup sherry or other liqueur or milk or fruit juice
300 ml heavy cream
1 tablespoon golden syrup
2 teaspoons cocoa
Directions:
Have ready an oblong dish which will be your serving dish.
Place sherry or liquid of choice in a shallow bowl.
Beat the cream with the golden syrup and cocoa until firm and holds it shape.
Dip quickly a biscuit into the liquid of choice (dont soak) and spread one side with the cream.
Do a second biscuit and sandwich together.
Stand these on the serving dish on their edge.
Continue until all bisciuts are used and you have a 'log'.
Spread remaining cream over the log to enclose the biscuits.
Decorate as desired. I like to put a row of glace red cherries along the top then sprinkle with chocolate chips or shaved chocolate.
Place in fridge for at least 2 hours if possible although can be eaten soon after making, it just wont be as soft.
Note:.This can also be made using plain sweetened whipped cream

trademequeen, Dec 17, 1:52am
And another which is a baked & filled sponge type log.

3 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour (heaped)
1 tablespoon cocoa (level)
whipped cream , for filling
chocolate icing or frosting , to cover
chopped nuts , for decoration
glace cherries , for decoration
Directions:
Set oven to 375'F/190'C.
Place a sheet of greaseproof paper or baking paper on a flat oven tray.
Have a clean tea-towel sprinkled with a little castor sugar or icing sugar ready on counter top.
Beat eggs & sugar together in a bowl set over a bowl or pot of hot water.
Beat until very light, thick, and fluffy.
Sift together the cocoa and flour and then fold into the egg mixture with a metal spoon.
Pour onto the paper lined tray and quickly spread into a large rectangle.
Bake in oven for 7-10 minutes until sponge springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
Carefully flip onto sugared towel and gently peel off paper. Roll up with the paper on the inside and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Unroll and remove paper. Reroll to cool completely covered lightly with tea-towel.
When cold unroll again and spread over a thick layer of whipped cream which has been sweetened with a little sugar & vanilla essence.
Reroll and cover outside with your favourite chocolate icing/frosting.
Place on an oblong serving platter.
Sprinkle over some chopped nuts and place a line of halved glace red cherries along the centre top of the roll.
Slice to serve.

sarahb5, Dec 17, 2:16am
I just buy the unfilled chocolate sponge roll from Countdown.Hubbymakes out Yule log so he fills it with whipped cream, covers it in chocolate icing, makes it log looking by cutting it on an angle to make a branch, sprinkle with icing sugar and adorn with holly.Very traditional in the UK and disappears pretty quick with the kids around.This is one of the few things I actually buy instead of baking over Christmas - life's too short and all that .

flower-child01, Dec 17, 9:17pm
I am going to try Jamies Chocolate chestnut yule log http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/other-recipes/chocolate-chestnut-yule-log but adapted (ie forget the chestnuts lol).

nauru, Dec 18, 2:46am
I remember these from our UK Christmas's before coming to NZ. Usually coated in crumbled Cadbury's flake bars.Haven't made one in a while and like you Sarah I bought the chocolate sponge roll, usually from M&S. I like the choc roll recipe in post #3 too.

sarahb5, Dec 18, 3:18am
LOL - when I lived at home dad was in charge of fetching the turkey and the chocolate log from M&S.He would go out about 7 o'clock on the morning of Christmas Eve just to make sure he got them both and he and I would then prepare the stuffing during that evening - it was delicious.I might actually make that one myself this year as I have now got the recipe.

nauru, Dec 18, 3:41am
Would you wiling to share your recipe with a fellow Pom, Sarah!

sarahb5, Dec 18, 4:32am
I already have at post #5 - I don't have a recipe, it's one of the few Christmas treats I don't actually make myself - I even use Betty Crockers chocolate frosting instead of making my own!Got the unfilled chocolate sponge roll from Countdown yesterday.