Some advice please re pineapple wafers

gerry64, Dec 16, 4:44am
Yesterday evening we went to a really nice restaurant and for the desert I ordered conconut icecream with pinapple wafers - when the desert came out I thought I had been given the wrong thing as it looked like shards of light coloured brandy snap - but it was defintely not and was just so yumnie - have found a recipe that sounds the same which says blend pineapple flour and icing sugar in a blender not a food processor - well I dont have a blender but I have a stick thingeewould this work - do you think!

uli, Dec 16, 5:18am
Give it a go gerry64 and let us know your adapted recipe - sounds very nice indeed!

falcon-hell, Dec 16, 5:26am
sounds good,i'll be waiting to see how you got on.

uli, Dec 16, 5:27am
falcon-hell - there are two of us now :)

gardie, Dec 16, 5:32am
Are you sure the pineapple wafers are not very finely sliced pineapple that has been dried!

pam.delilah, Dec 16, 5:49am
I would have thought the same.
Two of my favs
pineapple crisps
Preheat the oven to 100C/ To make the crisps, peel the pineapple and cut off 8-12 paper-thin slices.
Put them on a baking tray lined with a cooling rack, sprinkle over the 2tbsp of sugar and bake for 3 hours, or until the edges are turning brown. Leave to cool in the oven and then remove and store in an air-tight container until needed.

Pineapple Flowers
Cut off the rind
Pop out any of the eyes or seeds that remain.
With a melon ball or vegetable peelers or a small paring knife or measuring spoon.
Slice the pineapple very thinly so that the slices are almost translucent.
Lay them out on a trays
Dry at 60c until dry but not to hard

Once the slices are shrunken and almost completed dried out, transfer them to a muffin tin so that the edges curve upward in the shape of a flower.Or Pinch center of each pineapple slice to shape into a cone, and let cool in a clean egg carton to form flowers.
Best to let them sit overnight this way to retain the flower shape.

gerry64, Dec 16, 10:11pm
Wow I did it - here is the recipe
Makes

Ingredients
75g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 fresh pineapple, diced
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
1 1/3 cups (200g) pure icing sugar
2 tbs caster sugar
1 tbs dark rum
Coconut ice-cream, to serve
Chocolate sauce
125g good-quality dark chocolate, grated
1 1/2 tbs caster sugar
1/4 cup (60ml) thin cream

Method
Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and lightly grease a dariole mould on the outside.

Blend butter, 75g pineapple, flour and icing sugar in a blender (not food processor) until very smooth. Place spoonfuls of mixture into a baking tray and spread into 8cm circles (allow room to expand during cooking). Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and bubbling. Cool for 10 seconds, then mould each circle over the upturned dariole mould to form a basket shape. If wafers harden too quickly, return to oven for a few seconds to soften. (The moulded wafers will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.)

For sauce, place chocolate and sugar in a saucepan with 1 cup (250ml) water over medium heat. Bring to boil, stirring, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream and cool.

Place caster sugar, dark rum and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan over low heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Add remaining pineapple and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes until lightly caramelised, then cool. Serve ice-cream in baskets with chocolate sauce and pineapple.
They are lovely - but the best part was seeing the surprised look on my guests faces as they thought they were just getting brandy baskets -
Pineapples over here at the moment as so sweet and cheap will try your recipe pam

uli, Dec 16, 10:11pm
Keep it going people - I just saw that my next pineapple is getting yellow :)
Maybe breakfast tomorrow if I am lucky!

smileeah, Dec 17, 12:15am
Sounds yummy.

I made a mint sugar in a motar and pestle (grind fresh mint and sugar together) and sprinkled it over thinly sliced pineapple which was quite refreshing and tasty. Got the idea from Jamie Oliver I think.