Salad dressings

snoppy_gal, Dec 15, 9:25am
does anyone have some recipes fortasty salad dressings, all types of dressings for different salads, I would like to try a variety of salads this summer, thanks

mamaa, Dec 15, 9:47am
The old tried and true.Condensed milk, vinegar, mustard,and you can add anyting else to it.Like pieces of spring onion, pickles, corriander etc.Just use your imagination.

snoppy_gal, Dec 15, 10:47am
thanks I do like this one, would like to find a few different ones as wellas different salads with more than just the simple salads

245sam, Dec 15, 11:28am
snoppy_gal, here's a couple that you might like to try but please remember that the first one has raw eggs so it's not suitable for everyone, particularly pregnant women.

SALAD DRESSING
2 eggs
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
pinch salt
1 tsp ready-made mustard
½ cup vinegar

Beat the eggs, sugar and butter together well until thick.Gradually pour in the sweetened condensed milk, then add the salt, mustard and lastly, the vinegar.Store in the refrigerator – it keeps well if given the chance.

SOUR CREAM MAYONNAISE
1 large clove garlic
2 tbsp finely chopped onions
1 dssp mixed mustard
½ tsp each ofsaltandblack pepper
1 cup each ofsour creamandmayonnaise

Blend all together well and refrigerate, covered.

and here's a nice pasta salad that you might like to try.

Alison Holst's TOMATO AND GARLIC PASTA SALAD
“Choose pasta which has a yellowish colour when raw.This pasta is made from a special ‘hard’ wheat flour and keeps its shape when cooked.As you eat it, you’ll notice it feels quite ‘bouncy’ in your mouth.”

Dressing:
1 cup (250g) bottled or canned Garlic Pasta sauce
¼-½ cup olive oil
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp each ofsugarandground cumin
½ tsp each ofsaltandcrumbled dried oregano

Mix all the ingredients in a food processor, or shake together in a screw-topped jar.

250g tortellini, spirals or other pasta shapes
2 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
any or all of the following:-
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley;1 stalk celery, thinly sliced;¼-½ unpeeled, thin-skinned cucumber, cubed;drained whole kernel corn

Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling, lightly salted water, with a tablespoon of added oil, then drain it thoroughly. Take care not to under-cook or over-cook the pasta.
Stir about three-quarters of the dressing gently into the hot, drained pasta and leave to stand for at least 15 minutes (“I find it convenient to put the pasta and dressing in an unpunctured oven bag to mix and store it.” – A. Holst)
Refrigerate the salad until required for serving, then just before serving stir in the spring onions and any of the optional extra parsley and vegetables.Add a little of the remaining dressing if the salad needs it.
Serves 4.:-))

gerry64, Dec 17, 12:42am
245 your recipe for sour cream mayonaise - can I use my tried and true highlander condensed salad dressing or do I need to have "real"mayonaise

245sam, Dec 17, 1:25am
quote=gerry64]245 your recipe for sour cream mayonaise - can I use my tried and true highlander condensed salad dressing or do I need to have "real"mayonaise[/quote]

gerry64, I can't say yes or no from experience because I have only ever used "real" mayonnaise for the sour cream mayonnaise, mainly because when I have the sour cream mayonnaise I also have the salad dressing available for those who are not so keen on the garlic and onion of the sour cream mayonnaise.I think it would be worth trying and if you do try using the "highlander condensed salad dressing" then please do let us know what you think - you may find that you have created a very interesting variation.:-))

trademequeen, Dec 17, 1:59am
Cole slaw Lemon Dressing

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons white wine or 2 teaspoons vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon rind (grated)
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Mix altogether well in a bowl.
Add dressing to coleslaw just before serving.

trademequeen, Dec 17, 2:04am
This from my daughter :) Yummy :)
Apricot Curry Dressing

1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup light cream cheese or 1/4 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup weight watchers low-calorie apricot jam (or other lo cal jam)
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 garlic cloves
Directions:
Finely chop or crush the garlic.
Mix all ingredients together in a shaker or mix with a whisk.
Refrigerate until ready to use.

snoppy_gal, Dec 17, 10:22am
thank you everyone