Brandy Icing

teejay20, Dec 13, 7:51am
Hiya, does anyone know if you can use brandy essence instead of brandy in brandy icing!If so how much essence would you use.

TIA

sarahb5, Dec 13, 10:21pm
Have never heard of brandy icing to be honest but IMHO there's no substitute for the real thing - if you don't want to fork out for a whole bottle then buy a miniature from the bottle store

pickles7, Dec 13, 10:32pm
essence is nice in butter icing.

lodgelocum, Dec 13, 10:36pm
Use real Brandy not essence, Brandy icing is yum.

sarahb5, Dec 13, 11:00pm
But what is brandy icing!Is it just brandy butter cream, ie. what you put on mince pies and Christmas pud!I've never actually heard it described as brandy icing.

cgvl, Dec 13, 11:09pm
its called brandy butter icing.
basically 6oz butter, 1lb icing sugar, cream these ingredients together until white, light and fluffy, then add a few drops vanilla essence and a slug of brandy/whisky or wine if desired. You can leave out the alcohol if you don't like.
I prefer this to the marzipan and white icing thats usually used, hides any imperfections better and is much softer. It also keeps well.

sarahb5, Dec 13, 11:41pm
Right - I eventually figured that's what it was but never heard it called "icing" - I've never used it to ice a cake but always use it on mince pies and Christmas pud and have only ever heard it described as "brandy butter" - mine would be a bit over-powering covering a cake I think.I also add grated orange rind to mine.

cgvl, Dec 14, 12:04am
sounds nice sarahb5.
I discovered once it when I didn't want to ice a cake. In general I usually do an Almond nut topping.