Cheese Fondue

dons14, Dec 13, 12:32am
Was getting excited thinking I would do one of these on Christmas eve for the family but gruyere, emmenthaler and kirsch!! That's gonna cost a fortune. Is there anyway of doing a cheese fondue a little cheaper or do you need to spend the money on the really good cheese etc!

bluecalico, Dec 13, 12:40am
I make a beer one.in Alison HOlst book.just use tasty cheese.and it is lovely with french bread dunked in, or pieces of frankfurter.have you got any of her books!Let me know if not, and I will post her recipe.

lilyfield, Dec 13, 12:45am
i use cheddar- no Kirsch- but a reasonable good wine lots of garlic and black pepper

dons14, Dec 13, 12:49am
Hi bluecalico. Just tried to google it but couldn't find it. If you wouldn't mind posting that would be great thanx.

ronnoc, Dec 13, 2:41am
I found at Countdown a pre made one & it is fantastic. Matterhorn Fondue, product of Switzerland.

Ingredients: Original Swiss Cheese (53%), white wine, water, potato starch, Krisch Brandy, table salt

dons14, Dec 13, 8:30am
Just tried to order it ronnoc but the countdown site say's its not available in our area (Christchurch) - hadn't been able for find in our local countdown. Seemed like the ideal solution so I'm gutted. Ah well, looks like I'm gonna have to try it with Cheddar.

very_hotpants, Dec 13, 8:47am
We do chocolate fondue Christmas Eve.

ronnoc, Dec 13, 7:22pm
Do you wan't me to send you one down dons!

bluecalico, Dec 13, 9:33pm
Dons, when do you want it for!.I can post it tonight here if that isn't too late! Cheers Julie

elliehen, Dec 13, 10:32pm
The earliest known recipe for cheese fondue as we know it today comes from a 1699 book published in Zürich, under the name "Käss mit Wein zu kochen" 'to cook cheese with wine'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondue

I've started to look more closely at a few of these names of recipes we use in a generic way, to see just how they have changed with use through the centuries.

dons14, I wouldn't worry about the Kirsh or a cheese you can't afford ;)

dons14, Dec 14, 2:46am
Thank you ronnoc and bluecalico. That is very very nice of you but Im sure I can make do just using cheddar. Bluecalico are you from Christchurch! Have you found it in a countdown here!

bluecalico, Dec 14, 9:56am
Alison Holst Cheese Fondue:
for 2 main or 4 starter servings
2 cups grated cheddar cheese, 2 T flour, 1 t butter, 1 clove garlic (chopped finely), 1/2 t nutmeg and 1 cup flat or fresh beer.

Mix grated cheese and flour. Melt 1 t butter in fondue pot, then add the garlic and nutmeg and cook gently for about a minute, without browning. Add the beer and heat until hot but not boiling. Stir in the floured cheese gradually, whilst stirring or whisking the mixture over low heat. Remove from the heat when the cheese has all melted and the mixture is smooth.
Serve, keeping the fondue warm over low alcohol burner.Dip in chunks of french bread, little cooked meatballs, cubes of raw apple, pear or cauliflower.
For special occasions, use other cheeses to replace half of the cheddar.eg gruyere etc.

PS. I have not seen the fondue stuff as mentioned above.I usually shop at Countdown too.

lilyfield, Dec 14, 10:17am
I shudder at that recipe from Allison Holst. Nothing Swiss about it.