Xmas pudding - storage

wingee, Dec 12, 6:22pm
Making my Xmas puddings and just wondering would I store them like a Xmas cake.ie wrap tightly in lunch wrap and tea towel!TIA.(Mrs W)

pr_chch2, Dec 12, 8:24pm
and then newspaper and store in a cool place till Christmas Day.

lofthouse, Dec 12, 8:31pm
Yes, I take mine out of the steamer, wrap with baking paper, then a clean tea towel and pop it back into the bowl.On Christmas morning I unwrap it, put it back into the steamer and reheat in the crockpot on low all day.Perfect and easy!

wingee, Dec 12, 8:41pm
Thanks for that, I thought that was the case, but just wanted to double check.I am cooking mine in the slow cooker.Reheating may be on reheat in the microwave to save time.

seniorbones, Dec 12, 10:09pm
oh.I made mine about 3 weeks ago and have just left in the steamer in the fridge, havent made for a few years and now you have posted what to do I think I do remember I wrapped in foil then back in the tin-fridge until christmas day before steaming for another 2 hours! Hope they come out ok :-(

lofthouse, Dec 12, 11:49pm
If you leave the pudding sitting directly in an aluminium steamer, the fruit will 'eat into it' after a while!I am not sure if the slow cooker will bubble away fast enough to cook the pudding properly!My (very old) recipe is for a large pud and I steam it on the stove top at a rolling boil for 6 hours.Store it for a few weeks as above in the fridge and then reheat in the crockpot for about 3 or four hours at least on Christmas day.You don't need to tend to it at this stage as the crockpot makes its own steam/liquid to stop it boiling dry.Let me know how it goes cooking in the crockpot please!

wingee, Dec 13, 1:54am
will do, I made one last year and it was perfect.Its on now, bit late, think probably be done by 10pmLOL!

seniorbones, Dec 13, 3:02am
mine was for 6 hours too and the recipe makes two, I bought new tins so not alluminum, they are bakers secret brand like the non stick cake tins, although I still place a disc of baking paper in the bottom and greased well, dont trust non stick! I just do them again in the pot for 2 hours on the day i need them. YUM!

calista, Dec 13, 9:34am
I cook mine in the crockpot in one (or two) of the stainless steel bowls you can buy at the warehouse.Iuse Alison Holst's plum pudding recipe. (in the red crockpot book).

I have made them for the past few years (since the book first came out )and have never had any problems with them.I store them in the bowls in the frige with a fiol cover over the bowl.

wingee, Dec 13, 4:21pm
Thnks, mine was in the slow cooker for 6 hours and came out perfectly.I will wrap in lunch wrap etd and put in the fridge.Will however, have to reheat in microwave on reheat as we are having dinner out.