Xmas Nibbles for 20 people

elliehen, Dec 6, 11:21pm
This came in via email today from NZ House & Garden,

White Rocky Road
This recipe comes from Rebecca McRobie of Rocksugar Catering. Serve it with coffee or other after-dinner drinks instead of a dessert. That way guests will still have eaten a sweet treat but won’t feel overloaded – a hazard in this season of feasting!
300g rose Turkish delight (or fruit
jubes or half of each)
150g marshmallows
100g blanched almonds, toasted
100g pecans, toasted
100g long thread coconut
350g white chocolate, melted

Coarsely chop Turkish delight, marshmallows and nuts (scissors are good for cutting the sweets) and combine with coconut in a bowl. Pour chocolate over and mix well.
Press firmly into a large, lined loaf pan, cover with foil and weigh down with 3 medium cans of food. Chill several hours until set or leave overnight in the pantry.
Cut into squares to serve. Keeps for up to 3 weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.

sleyle, Dec 12, 2:54am
Hi there, I have been asked to provide the Xmas nibbles for our Xmas Party, so can you please give me suggestions!I need something that will travel as I have to take them from Auckland to New Plymouth one or two days before Xmas.Thanks for any help.

duckmoon, Dec 12, 4:40am
I would be planning something which is more about construction, than cooking.

And braving the supermarket when you arrive in New Olymouth.

I love salmon and cream cheese on bilinis,
One of my favorite nibbles is goats cheese and fig wrapped in Parma ham.- a nigella recipe (google is your friend)

What about a fruit platter, strawberries and dried fruit .
Cheese and antipasto - which can be purchased from the supermarket

gardie, Dec 12, 5:55am
prunes wrapped in bacon - prepare then just throw in the oven.Scrolls - take a sheet of puff pastry, spread over pesto then pop on some bacon and feta cheese.Roll up, then slice across (not too thickly) and lay flat to cook.Store well.If you cook themfully without browing too much, you can just reheat them in the oven briefly.You can try some different things in each scroll as plain or decadent as you wish.

sleyle, Dec 12, 6:29am
Sorry guys, I meant sweet treats, not savoury.

tarankyle, Dec 12, 6:57am
I have just made these as small gifts for xmas & they taste soo go & are soo easy to make;

• Cream cheese truffles
• 1 tub of cream cheese and 2 packs of timtam type chockie bickies. Whiz bickies, add cream cheeseand whiz some more. make into balls or logs or bunches and roll in cocoa or choc hail etc.

Bounty bars/balls:
1c coconut 2Tblsp icing sugar and enough cnondensed milk to make a gooey mess suitable for making into bars or roll in your hands into balls. chill and dunk in melted chocolate.

kassie48, Dec 12, 7:15am
Different fudges (sweets, not slices)

gardie, Dec 12, 7:22am
That's even easier.
Christmas pudding truffles;Ingredients

* 125g best-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
* 350g leftover, or freshly cooked and cooled, Christmas pudding
* 60ml sherry
* 2 x 15ml tablespoons golden syrup
line baking sheet with clingfilm or foil. melt the dark chocolate.crumble the pudding and mix in a bowl with the sherry and golden syrup. stir then add the melted chocolate.
compact these ingredients together then shape into mini puddings. melt white chocolate and spoon on top. then decorate with red and green glacé cherries
Source(s):
nigella christmas cookery bookI made these last night within about 15 mins - just rolled in sifted cocoa powder to make it quicker.

Sophie Grey's hazelnut chocolates can be cut into small squares:See the thread entitiledShow us your christmas treats (or something similar).

Lots of other sweet treats on here - check out desserts in the search function on the left.Peanut butter truffles, mint slice truffles to name just two.

rarogal, Dec 12, 7:40am
Grape, strawberry and marshmallow kebabs (small). Large strawberries with a fine wedge of camembert inserted in slit. Just 2 ideas.

duckmoon, Dec 12, 8:15am
I would still serve the fig and goats cheese.

Truffles in three different styles.
Coconut ice and Russian fudge

duckmoon, Dec 12, 8:17am
http://www.boredpanda.com/santa-hat-brownies/

Or the Christmas pudding mellow puffs which were trendy last year

duckmoon, Dec 12, 8:18am

sleyle, Dec 12, 10:17pm
Thanks so much for your ideas everyone.Xmas Pud Mallowpuffs are on the list, my kids do them every year.I will do some truffles, fudge, will try coconut ice and a fudge cake.

rubyjane11, Dec 12, 11:07pm
chocolate dipped strawberries

sleyle, Dec 13, 12:34am
Oh yeah chocolate dipped strawberries is another good idea thanks.

fenian1, Dec 20, 8:31am
Thanks for a great recipe made them today lovely