Question about turning casserole into pie.

monique70, Dec 12, 1:51am
If i use the left over casserole from last night reheat it and thicken it up a bit more if i line the pie dish with ready made pastry and put hot mixture in will it go soggy and yuck by the time it comes out the oven!

eastie3, Dec 12, 2:01am
You could just put a pastry lid over the casserole and avoid the soggy bottom.
Alternatively you could heat the casserole,bake the pastry separately,already cut into squares or rounds and serve the filling onto the plate and top it with a pastry piece.
I heat an oven tray when I turn the oven on and place the pie on that - it cooks the bottom.I never cook pies in glass,although I know others do,successfully.

buzzy110, Dec 12, 5:24am
Try it and find out. My mother always said that pie filling should be hot when putting it onto uncooked pastry and her cooking was second to none. Let us know how it went.

buzzy110, Dec 12, 5:26am
Oh and remember to leave a steam hole at the top so excess steam can escape and it won't 'boil over'.

gaspodetwd, Dec 12, 6:08am
I always throw it in a dish cold - and cover with puff pastry. Easy! To get really good pastry on the bottom you really need to bake blind which is such a palaver - when you can just cover it and throw it in the oven.

winnie231, Dec 12, 6:29am
monique70 - this question has many answers . and at the end of the day you can only give it a go & find what works for you.
Some swear by hot fillings, some by cold.
I'm in the cold filling dept . a cafe, while under my management took out our regions 'Cafe of the year award' from Cuisine magazine based on our hand-made pies & we put the filling back into the fridge between batches to keep it as cold as poss. It worked for us.
Others, like buzzy's mum use hot fillings . with success.
I'm sure your family will appreciate your efforts to get creative with left-overs & you'll discover through trial & error what works best for you.

creek, Dec 12, 7:16am
I have had luck pricking the bottom of pastry before putting filling in bottom cooks better

chrissie91, Dec 12, 7:19am
I will be a little late with my input. I make my own short pastry for pies. I line the pie dish with pastry, pop in the left over stew, casserole, or left over mince (cold) on the uncooked pastry, then pastry on top. Always yum, never soggy.

buzzy110, Dec 13, 3:04am
Yep. Such excellent advice. By putting little holes in the pastry, air heating under the pastry has somewhere to go so that the pastry always stays flat on the bottom of the tin. Logic should tell anyone why this is necessary for the pie bottom to cook.